What's new

RT-AX1800S - Change to DNS not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hkall

New Around Here
Picked up an Asus RT-AX1800S router. Upgraded to the latest firmware and factory reset. Setup was easy enough. I inserted the Adguard DNS servers where it says DNS and WINS server setting. This has worked fine on other routers to block most ads on every device on our wifi.

However I am still seeing ads and when I go to https://canyoublockit.com/testing/ it is shown to not be working.

This would be a deal breaker for me on an otherwise decent/cheap router. Before I return it I wanted to see if anyone here has some ideas.

Thanks!

1662998904250.png

Un-tick the option "Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS".

A better approach is the leave the LAN DNS fields empty and specify the Adguard DNS servers in the WAN DNS settings instead.

Un-tick the option "Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS".

A better approach is the leave the LAN DNS fields empty and specify the Adguard DNS servers in the WAN DNS settings instead.

Thank you so much. I completely missed that in the WAN settings.

Note, some ads are being blocked for sure but others are getting through. Almost certainly an adguard dns thing rather than an Asus Router thing.

Note, some ads are being blocked for sure but others are getting through. Almost certainly an adguard dns thing rather than an Asus Router thing.
As more and more devices implement DNS over HTTPS (either in the operating system or the browser) they are bypassing whatever is set on the router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!