What's new

rt-ax3000 386.7_2 won't make 160mhz network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tooandrew

Occasional Visitor
it was pretty intermittent on whether it worked on the stock firmware, too, but at least when it was new i could usually get it working with a reboot. is there anything i can do to force it to actually make the network 160mhz? i set it to 160mhz, and regardless of whether i am leaving channel on auto or choosing a channel it always broadcasts 80mhz.

it was pretty intermittent on whether it worked on the stock firmware, too, but at least when it was new i could usually get it working with a reboot. is there anything i can do to force it to actually make the network 160mhz? i set it to 160mhz, and regardless of whether i am leaving channel on auto or choosing a channel it always broadcasts 80mhz.

Squeezing 160MHz bandwidth into the 5.0 band is a marginal proposition; it likely will not be permitted by RADAR/DFS. If this is the case for your location (see DFS status in Wireless Log), then settle for using 80MHz max bw and a non-DFS control channel.

OE

Last edited:
@tooandrew Do you have any 160MHz capable clients connected? If you have the bandwidth set to 20/40/80/160 and don't have any 160MHz clients it will temporarily drop back to 80MHz until one does connect. Setting the bandwidth manually to 160MHz only should force it to always be 160 unless as the previous post said it detects radar on those channels.

Last edited:
Squeezing 160MHz bandwidth into the 5.0 band is a marginal proposition; it likely will not be permitted by RADAR/DFS. If this is the case for your location (see DFS status in Wireless Log), then settle for using 80MHz max bw and a non-DFS control channel.

OE
The stock firmware just stayed at 80 after dfs kicked it off. Is there like a script i could run to check dfs status and auto switch back to 160 once the dfs channels are clear? They are clear most of the time. I think its only when a plane is nearby, like once or twice a day, when dfs is in use

This router is exclusively for streaming vr games to my quest 2 and the extra bandwidth makes a huge difference.

@tooandrew Do you have any 160MHz capable clients connected? If you have the bandwidth set to 20/40/80/160 and don't have any 160MHz clients it will temporarily drop back to 80MHz until one does connect. Setting the bandwidth manually to 160MHz only should force it to always be 160 unless as the previous post said it detects radar on those channels.
Yeah theres only one client on 5ghz. Its on 160mhz when it can be. As i said though, at least on stock, when im kicked off DFS channels it just stays at 80mhz even when the radar is gone.

The stock firmware just stayed at 80 after dfs kicked it off. Is there like a script i could run to check dfs status and auto switch back to 160 once the dfs channels are clear? They are clear most of the time. I think its only when a plane is nearby, like once or twice a day, when dfs is in use

This router is exclusively for streaming vr games to my quest 2 and the extra bandwidth makes a huge difference.

I doubt there is nor should be a script to defeat DFS.

OE

That headset really uses that much bandwidth? 80mhz should give you hundreds of megabits of throughput easily.

If DFS is a problem in your area you may have to look for a router or AP that supports 80+80 mode, which avoids DFS, but your clients would need to support it too.

Have you tried switching the channel? While both overlap with DFS, maybe the other will be more stable for you. Typically 36-64 is going to be best but if that isn't working, 100-128 is worth a try.

Last edited:
Nobody said defeat it, just periodically check if it has cleared up.

If DFS is not permitting 160MHz, i.e. "always broadcasts 80mhz", then expecting a script to enable 160MHz is attempting to defeat DFS... my words, I said it.

OE

If DFS is not permitting 160MHz, i.e. "always broadcasts 80mhz", then expecting a script to enable 160MHz is attempting to defeat DFS... my words, I said it.

OE

Re-enabling 160mhz once the radar/condition that caused it to change from 160 to 80 has cleared up is perfectly fine. No different than rebooting the router or bouncing the wifi. Nobody is suggesting to force 160 when it isn't allowed.

Re-enabling 160mhz once the radar/condition that caused it to change from 160 to 80 has cleared up is perfectly fine. No different than rebooting the router or bouncing the wifi. Nobody is suggesting to force 160 when it isn't allowed.

OP's router "always broadcasts at 80MHz". I can take a hint.

OE

OE
As i said, the dfs channels are in use when planes cross over my house. I did say always but i really meant whenever im having problems. For example shortly after i posted this i got it to broadcast 160 and it has stayed at 160 since then.

If you had read what you were responding to you would have seen i asked for a script that "check dfs status and auto switch back to 160 once the dfs channels are clear"

Which is distinctly not trying to "defeat DFS" i dont want the fcc knocking on my door. I just want my router to use 160mhz whenever it is safe and legal to do so. There are no lines to be read through. I explicitly asked for what i wanted. Mind you i have asked about the process name for dfs checking in the past, this was to try to write a script to do this, and someone also assumed i was trying to disable it, which i was not.
Yes, that's pretty normal behaviour if the router has been forced to change channels.

I wrote this script that tries to move it back again: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ax86u-doesnt-switch-back-to-dfs-channel.77728/post-784233
Thank you i will try that.
That headset really uses that much bandwidth? 80mhz should give you hundreds of megabits of throughput easily.

If DFS is a problem in your area you may have to look for a router or AP that supports 80+80 mode, which avoids DFS, but your clients would need to support it too.

Have you tried switching the channel? While both overlap with DFS, maybe the other will be more stable for you. Typically 36-64 is going to be best but if that isn't working, 100-128 is worth a try.
The same question. 80MHz AX to 2-stream client can do about 800Mbps throughput.
It works with less but the higher bitrate i can get the better it works (less compression artifacts). Being latency sensitive somehow doesnt allow for the max throughput that other devices can get, i guess. I think i read something like that.

I can get around 150-200 bitrate with 80mhz while 160 provides 300 bitrate

Last edited:
As i said, the dfs channels are in use when planes cross over my house. I did say always but i really meant whenever im having problems. For example shortly after i posted this i got it to broadcast 160 and it has stayed at 160 since then.

If you had read what you were responding to you would have seen i asked for a script that "check dfs status and auto switch back to 160 once the dfs channels are clear"

Which is distinctly not trying to "defeat DFS" i dont want the fcc knocking on my door. I just want my router to use 160mhz whenever it is safe and legal to do so. There are no lines to be read through. I explicitly asked for what i wanted. Mind you i have asked about the process name for dfs checking in the past, this was to try to write a script to do this, and someone also assumed i was trying to disable it, which i was not.

I understand. I just think that the router is licensed to observe DFS regulation in the interests of air safety... and user scripts are not.

OE

I understand. I just think that the router is licensed to observe DFS regulation in the interests of air safety... and user scripts are not.

OE
From what i understand dfs function is built into the wireless driver and cannot be overridden by a script. What do i know, though.
Like i said, whenever it is safe and legal.

yeah its wired in. it honestly works fine at 80mhz but it just looks a LOT better with 160mhz.

Very strange, seems very unlikely that it is actually using that much bandwidth. I'm not sure about latency, don't see why it would be any different. Maybe there is something else going on, interference on the 80mhz channels it is selecting that is overcome when it has 160mhz (i.e. you're getting reduced throughput regardless but having double reduced throughput is more). Try 80mhz on different channels maybe?

From what i understand dfs function is built into the wireless driver and cannot be overridden by a script. What do i know, though.
Like i said, whenever it is safe and legal.

Yeah, disregard that nonsense. There is no way (short of hacking hardware and drivers) to defeat DFS compliance. What you're asking to do is fine, FCC approves, but as you see it is not stable or reliable. Anything that is going to rescan and change back to 160mhz is going to cause an interruption of your wireless, may or may not be a big deal for you. If your router has a wifi button on it just turn it off and back on and that should make it rescan, or use the script posted to do essentially the same in an automated fashion. Still think this is not your root issue though.

160mhz is somewhat problematic, similar to 40mhz on 2.4 (though not as bad since that uses the entire spectrum instead of 1/3 of it).

6A will bring 6ghz. Lower range but more spectrum (and less interference until everyone around you adopts it).

Of course higher frequencies means potentially higher risk to your health. The cell phone companies have gone to great lengths to discredit that research but common sense and a little bit of science knowledge is all it takes to realize that this RF radiation is not great for you.

If my microwave can cook food at 1000 watts of 2.5 ghz, then 0.1 watt of the same frequency 24/7 for many years is going to have some impact. Not to mention the 15ghz satellite signals, 28-39 ghz 5G mmwave, all the cellular antennas running about 800mhz-2ghz, etc. We're slowly getting cooked and your cells are mutating little by little. There are anectodal stories of soldiers hanging out near microwave antennas to keep warm, little did they realize WHY it was keeping them warm, when the antenna was cool to the touch and not radiating any heat. They got cancer. OK tin foil hat off now.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!