What's new

RT-AX3000 need to know how to limit specific users wireless connections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sh4downin

Occasional Visitor
some users are connecting to the wifi and using up far, far too much internet connection and i really need to know how to limit how much wifi they have acess too. can some one please help

Welcome to the forums @sh4downin.

I don't believe you'll find such a setting in consumer routers (total download in GBs consumed).

Is the issue a matter of what I'm guessing above? Or are you trying to state that the network becomes unresponsive when one or more users is using it?

Do you have the latest firmware installed on your router? What settings do you have enabled past the defaults? After a reset to factory defaults as outlined for your router in the link below?

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Which 'users' are these? Wife? Kids? Guests? Neighbors?

A simple fix is to just change the passwords to access the WiFi. More information is needed from you to offer better direction. :)

my firmware is completely fine. these users are people that live with me and are entitled completely to use the internet but they are not too bright and do not know what they are doing on top of having little to no self control. im not asking you tho for any other solution beyond limiting certain users internet connections on my ax3000 router. the router settings would certainly be at default though.

LOL ur right. now.. i AM in the setting but i dont exactly see where i can throttle certain devices? got any more info for me?

Sorry, I have not used it... I'd have to investigate, too.

Maybe you would have to bump them to a guest WLAN and limit all guest WLAN clients.

OE

Adaptive QOS > QOS > QOS Type: Bandwidth Limiter

Which of course falls over completely for any device that uses a randomized MAC address.

Adaptive QOS possible with the FlexQOS extension might be a better bet. It wouldn't hard limit them, but it would allow you to prioritise better.

Adaptive QOS > QOS > QOS Type: Bandwidth Limiter

Which of course falls over completely for any device that uses a randomized MAC address.

Adaptive QOS possible with the FlexQOS extension might be a better bet. It wouldn't hard limit them, but it would allow you to prioritise better.
does it fall over really? ive found the devices and limited them sucessfully but ur saying that dosent really work?

A number of newer mobiles and tablets can be set up to use a MAC address that is randomly generated. When using Bandwidth Limiting, Asus routers currently identify devices using their MAC address. So if you limit a device, but the next time it logs onto the network it has a different MAC address the bandwidth limiting setting would not be applied to it!

A number of newer mobiles and tablets can be set up to use a MAC address that is randomly generated. When using Bandwidth Limiting, Asus routers currently identify devices using their MAC address. So if you limit a device, but the next time it logs onto the network it has a different MAC address the bandwidth limiting setting would not be applied to it!
.....................................intresting............................................

so... i need this adaptive extension

so... i need this adaptive extension
would you mind explaining a bit of how it would work? i have this really crappy tv that they use like..... netflix and hbo and a bunch of other streaming services that needs to get bandwith limited as well as a lap top that i really need to limit

FlexQOS is an enhancement (and then some) on Adaptive QOS. If Adaptive QOS is enough then that's all you'd need!

Just using Adaptive QOS/FlexQOS, you can just set it up to give higher priority to in this case streaming services. BUT, it's a massive but, and I'm going to grossly oversimplify it... QOS (in my experience) has a far greater effect on uploads compared to downloads - the router can intervene to a far greater extent on what it's uploading compared to what it downloads.
In comparison, Bandwidth Limiting should be a hard limit, when it works. But it's not really limiting what the router is receiving, just what is being sent to the devices - which does kinda work when you want to prioritise are streaming apps that are going to be buffering their data.

*To the pedantic in here, I know this explanation is messy, if you can give a better explanation please do!

the wifi users are all killing my ethernet connection.. how can i limit how much wifi is actually available or allocate more resources to the ethernet connection?

the wifi users are all killing my ethernet connection.. how can i limit how much wifi is actually available or allocate more resources to the ethernet connection?

Investigate QoS bandwidth limiter and/or same on guest WLANs. This should limit the Internet (not WiFi) for certain clients, if that's what you want.

OE

Investigate QoS bandwidth limiter and/or same on guest WLANs. This should limit the Internet (not WiFi) for certain clients, if that's what you want.

OE
well i actually did find that in there and i tinkered with it limiting all the users devices that have conected but as far as i can tell its not working as intended. for example i limited a lap top thats has been connecting to 50mbps upload and download speed but when i look at it in the net work settings it shows that the tx rate and rx rate it seems to be doing whatever it waants to do

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!