What's new

RT-AX3000 Wireguard possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

edit

New Around Here
First time here, just got my router connected to a VPN for the first time, and my download speeds went from 110mpbs to around 60 with an OpenVPN config.

I'm guessing I could get faster speeds through Wireguard but don't see an option in my stock up-to-date Asus firmware for it.

Is there a way to enable it, with Merlin firmware or otherwise? And will it get me better speeds through a VPN?

RT-AX3000/AX58U - Information here

RT-AX3000/AX58U V2 - No Asuswrt-Merlin support. Wait for 388 base stock Asuswrt firmware.

Check what hardware revision is your router and go from there. You may get better speeds, but not guaranteed.

RT-AX3000/AX58U - Information here

RT-AX3000/AX58U V2 - No Asuswrt-Merlin support. Wait for 388 base stock Asuswrt firmware.

Check what hardware revision is your router and go from there. You may get better speeds, but not guaranteed.
How do I check what version it is? My router admin area just says RT-AX3000

The router has a label with the model number on it.

How many CPU cores do you see in router's GUI, Status page?

I looked at the router and didn't see anything indicating v2.

3 cores show up in Status.

You have a chance then. If your router was not purchased recently - chances for Asuswrt-Merlin supported version increase.

Alright cool, thanks for your help! I will try and install Merlin tomorrow and see if I can get Wireguard working.

I'll report back with results for anyone curious.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!