What's new

RT-AX55 connection to a VPN server hosted in the USA.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok and last question. Does this router have different versions or not?
I don't want to buy the router and find out that the version I bought doesn't work or something.

Again thank you for all the advices
Good question, before you ask I just knew there was a V2 variant of the AX58U that couldn't use Merlin, so I went and searched to make sure there wasn't a cost-cutting variant of the AX56U.

Unfortunately, there is indeed an RT-AX56U V2 out there (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cannot-flash-merlin-on-rt-ax56u-v2.68383/ ), and it reduces the 512MB RAM to 256MB, equivalent to the AX55.

So avoid the V2 version.

RT-AX56U V2 does not support Asuswrt-Merlin firmware!

The photo look like there is a clear gap between the two, I don't think you will choose the wrong one.
screen-shot-2021-10-04-at-10-36-58-am-png.36596

And it looks like the RT-AX56U V2 variant will only be sold in China.

Last edited:
Good question, before you ask I just knew there was a V2 variant of the AX58U that couldn't use Merlin, so I went and searched to make sure there wasn't a cost-cutting variant of the AX56U.

Unfortunately, there is indeed an RT-AX56U V2 out there (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cannot-flash-merlin-on-rt-ax56u-v2.68383/ ), and it reduces the 512MB RAM to 256MB, equivalent to the AX55.

So avoid the V2 version.

RT-AX56U V2 does not support Asuswrt-Merlin firmware!

The photo look like there is a clear gap between the two, I don't think you will choose the wrong one.
screen-shot-2021-10-04-at-10-36-58-am-png.36596

And it looks like the RT-AX56U V2 variant will only be sold in China.
Perfect thanks for the information. The version that I gonna buy is the V1