What's new

RT-AX56U fails to restore WAN after power loss

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mara-

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,

I have a very strange issue with this router and it's very annoying. My setup is following:

Huawei ZXHN H267N is the router I got from ISP. LAN1 is providing internet connection. Using the cable I got with Asus, I connected it to LAN1 on Huawei and to WAN on the Asus.
I disabled DHCP on the Huawei.
On the Asus, I am using Static IP to connect to Huawei.
IP address of the Huawei is 192.168.1.1, and Asus is configured to 192.168.2.1.

And this is working perfectly fine, except for one small thing. I have a power outage more often than I would like. And so, after power is restored Asus never gets internet connection. Trying to access Huawei using it's IP address in the browser will show message that some protocol violation occurred from which it can not be recovered. While this is happening, Asus Internet status in the Network Map shows Connected, but in reality there is no communication with Huawei.

To restore the connection, I just login to Asus router and toggle Internet Connection switch in the Network map. This is very annoying since I have to do this after every outage, sometimes I am not at home, and smart devices I have can not resume to work.

I am on the latest official version of the firmware, 3.0.0.4.384.9428. I also had the issue with previous version, 3.0.0.4.384.8253. While I was on that version, I did hard reset with the option to initialize all settings. Not sure if I should do it again, since changelog does not mention anything regarding this.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Buy a quality UPS for your home's unstable power issues. Plug in both the modem/ONT and your router into the UPS.

That's not going to solve a problem. UPS will eventually deplete the battery and same thing will happen.

How long are the power outages for? A quality UPS isn't just about runtime.

Depends, sometimes short, sometimes longer. But that is something that I don't want to invest into. I already invested into this router, and I would like to solve the issue without additional investments.

I can't see how that is possible when the power quality is obviously dropping/drooping and cutting out on you for an indeterminate time is the issue.

Well, power loss is an issue, but it should not affect the router this way. WAN should work after power is restored, it should not require me toggling Internet Connection switch.

We agree on the 'should' part. The things you're actually trying to deal with is what I'm trying to help with. Unless someone can come up with a special command/script or process to stop this from happening to your equipment, you should start with the biggest issue, the power.

If you want to see if it's a configuration or possibly a hardware issue, the following link may help.

Fully Reset Router and Network

I really appreciate you trying to help. It would be nice to resolve the power issue, but I am currently not in position to invest in UPS. That's why I would like to find another solution which involves fixing the issue with the router.

I did again the reset with the option to initialize all settings with this latest firmware. After that I tried to toggle power at the same time using switch on the extension cord and WAN was working fine. But I waited only 1 minute before powering it. I'll try longer period to see if issue is resolved.

You may also want to flash the latest RMerlin 386.1 Beta 5 to your router. Many improvements are offered. Maybe it will help with your issue too?

After flashing latest firmware by Asus, 3.0.0.4.384.10290, issue is fixed. But, this firmware broke the 2.4GHz wifi. After few hours, speed would just drop to 5Mbps. Hard reset with initiallize all setting didn't help. I rolled back to previous one, and wifi is fine. I might try Merlin firmware and hope both issue will not exist.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!