What's new

RT-AX56U VS AX58U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IPbasher

Occasional Visitor
Hello Guys,
Which Router is better performing in terms of Wifi Performance and OPENVPN Speeds? AX56U or AX58U?

And are there any known issues in both of these Models?

And which one is more stable when using Merlin

Appreciate your help and Advise

:cool::D

Wifi will be slightly better with the RT-AX58U. Both will have identical OpenVPN performance.

Judging from the frequency of Asus firmware releases, looks like they update the RT-AX58U more frequently at this time.

Wifi will be slightly better with the RT-AX58U. Both will have identical OpenVPN performance.

Judging from the frequency of Asus firmware releases, looks like they update the RT-AX58U more frequently at this time.
So what is the advantage of of the Extra Core that the AX56U have? :) When is the full power of All cores needed? For OpenVPN it wont use the full potencial as far as i understood.

But its wierd that the AX56U has probably the better CPU :)

So what is the advantage of of the Extra Core that the AX56U have?

None.

But its wierd that the AX56U has probably the better CPU

It's not just a matter of CPU cores. The BCM6750 has one less core, but it doesn't have built-in 5 GHz support either, which allows Asus to use a more advanced, external 5 GHz radio with it.

Also it seems that the bcm6755's fourth core might possibly be dedicated to specific usage. Can't tell for sure, Broadcom are paranoid when it comes to sharing any kind of technical information with the world...

Yes, and it's actually a design flaw in that firmware version, because the archer service is also bound to that same CPU core, slowing down SMB performance to about 70 MB/s max. I fixed this issue in my firmware, and relayed the fix to Asus.
So Overall i the RT-AX58U is more recommented? Are there any known issues with the Router?

@IPbasher all of the above. (And see post 2, too). :)

Yes, and it's actually a design flaw in that firmware version, because the archer service is also bound to that same CPU core, slowing down SMB performance to about 70 MB/s max. I fixed this issue in my firmware, and relayed the fix to Asus.

If a flaw is causing SMB to slow to 70MB/s what sort of speeds are people seeing on these 2 routers when working properly? I'm getting 60MB/s avg read and 50MB/s write on my ax58u to a 10TB USB3 external drive. When I plug the drive in directly to the pc I get over 100MB/s up to 120MB/s.

If a flaw is causing SMB to slow to 70MB/s what sort of speeds are people seeing on these 2 routers when working properly?

Mine was hitting read speeds of a bit over 100 MB/s after I fixed CPU affinity.

Mine was hitting read speeds of a bit over 100 MB/s after I fixed CPU affinity.
So i bought the ASUS RT-AX58U. The OPENVPN Speeds is about 10-12Mbps slower then the AX56U. In the first few tests i got about 58-60Mbps. (With AES256)

With AX56U i got 66-73mbps. Also with AES256.

I configured the VPN Settings on both Router exactly the same.

What reason could be that the 58U is performing slower then 56U. o_O:)

Are there any special settings beside on the VPN custom Config that can be done in order to increase the speed

Different CPUs/SoCs with differing capabilities? :)

The RT-AX56U and RT-AX58U both have an ARMv7 1.5 GHz CPU, so OpenVPN performance should be identical. Something else is affecting your test results.

I used same Settings. Is there anything in the settings that must be disabled in order to get faster speeds beside of the VPN Settings?

And is an "safe" overclocking possible :) ?

The nominal clock speed doesn't make them identical SoC's though, does it?

One is quad-core and one is tri-core, I'm not sure about other differences they may (or may not) have implemented in each.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asus_routers

RT-AX56U is an Broadcom BCM6755 @ 1.5 GHz, quad-core.

RT-AX58U is an Broadcom BCM6750 @ 1.5 GHz, tri-core.

One is quad-core and one is tri-core, I'm not sure about other differences they may (or may not) have implemented in each.

Considering they are both using the same Cortex A15 and they were released at approximately the same time, it's unlikely to be different.

An easy way to compare them is to run a basic benchmark (i.e. openssl11 speed -elapsed -evt aes-256-gcm) and compare the results.

Only easy if you have both to test with. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!