What's new

RT-AX58 DNS_PROBE_STARTED no internet, long connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bestiowski

New Around Here
Dear All,

I have had a problem with the network for several months. I tried all the available tips that I found on this forum and on others, unfortunately the problem persists.
The point is that the main router RT-AX58U and the two that work in AP mode (2xRT-AC67U) connect all clients to the Internet via wifi for a very long time. When you try to open a website, the information about the lack of DNS server for the page I want to open is displayed, no matter what the page is. In the router logs you can still see 3 messages: wlceventd_proc_event auth, then wlceventd_proc_event ReAssoc and finally wlceventd_proc_event Disassoc. Anyone have any idea what I can do to solve this devilish problem? What data should I send to facilitate the diagnosis of the problem? Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to the forums @Bestiowski.

What firmware are the routers on? What exactly did you try with the 'available tips'?

If the issue isn't your ISP and/or ISP/hardware, then I would perform the following on all your routers and build the network up from scratch again. Do not 'blindly' use any scripts, settings, or features that worked 'once upon a time'. Do a full minimal and manual configuration (without using a saved backup config file) to test the robustness of the hardware, first.

Fully Reset Router and Network

Note that you may need to do the steps above multiple times to fully reset an especially stubborn router.

When the main router is operating correctly, add one of your APs after following the link above for it too. Monitor the network to ensure it is working as expected. If so, add your second AP in the proper manner outlined above.

When the router is fully reset, the following link will provide suggested (best/practice) suggestions.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Dear L&LD ,

Thanks for your repply, on AX-58U i have 3.0.0.4.386_47029 this firmware , and on RT-AC67U 3.0.0.4.386_46065.

What I have been doing so far:
I started with a factory reset of all devices.
I entered the DNS addresses provided by the Internet provider, I changed to the automatic download option.
I turned on and off the options related to wi-fi (wifi agile multiband, igmp snooping etc), changed the wifi network channels and their frequency. Literally nothing helped, always some computer, despite the fact that they are all almost the same distance, has a problem with connecting. Today I had a problem, I had to wait 4/5 minutes and the computer connected. There was still No DNS Server in my browser and DNS_PROBE_STARTED at the bottom.
The router provided by the Internet provider works fine, when I connect to it via wifi it is a matter of a few seconds and everything works.

A few notes.

Toggling options on/off is a good way to get the router in a funny state (i.e. not a good/known state).

The factory reset was done after flashing the firmware you indicate above, correct (and not before)?

Why are you manually entering the DNS IPs provided by your ISP? Leave that (WAN) setting on Auto. Where else (other than on the WAN page) are you setting DNS manually?

A few notes.

Toggling options on/off is a good way to get the router in a funny state (i.e. not a good/known state).

The factory reset was done after flashing the firmware you indicate above, correct (and not before)?

Why are you manually entering the DNS IPs provided by your ISP? Leave that (WAN) setting on Auto. Where else (other than on the WAN page) are you setting DNS manually?
I tested the wi-fi settings according to what I read in other topics, turned various options on and off until I was left with almost all options off.

This is how I did a factory reset, both after the firmware update and before.

I entered DNS manually because I wanted to see if that would have any effect on what was happening with the connection. I just don't have any ideas what else I can do to make the computers connect automatically and have Internet immediately and not after 4/5 minutes or even 10 minutes in some cases.

Upload the complete syslog of the AX58U to somewhere like pastebin.com and post a link to it so we can take a look.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!