What's new

RT-AX58U 2.4ghz shutting down and overheating?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jaybird14

Occasional Visitor
Has anyone had this issue?

Basically the 2.4GHZ radio will shoot up to 76 degrees C and all devices connected to 2.4GHZ will disconnect. Nothing obvious happening in logs during that time. Router is also showing the 2.4GHZ light still on. Is this hardware or software?

Running Merlin 386.2_4, only running Diversion.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 10.03.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 10.03.14 AM.png
    312.1 KB · Views: 218
"Shoot up" from what temperature?
From around 45-55 degrees. I only notice it happening after the fact (usually when my IoT devices connected to 2.4 alert me to say that they're offline) so I can't see the temperature change on the graph

Leave the temperature monitor running so that you can see the behaviour over time. "Shooting up" would imply something different than "gradually building up". The later might suggest a faulty of poorly attached heatsink.

Has anyone had this issue?

Basically the 2.4GHZ radio will shoot up to 76 degrees C and all devices connected to 2.4GHZ will disconnect. Nothing obvious happening in logs during that time. Router is also showing the 2.4GHZ light still on. Is this hardware or software?

Running Merlin 386.2_4, only running Diversion.
This thread seems to conclude that it's a firmware problem. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-ax58u-2-4ghz-band-keeps-denying-internet-access.72321/
I have seen the same behaviour on my AX56U, restart the wifi service and the temperature instantly returns to normal and clients are able to connect again.

Interesting. Sounds exactly like the same issue I have, right down to the things that fix it. What is the fix, at least for the time being? A downgrade?
Downgrading to 384.19 seems to be a fix for some people, I was unable to test this as 384.19 was never available for the AX56U.
I have changed USB mode to USB 2.0 (Administration/System tab), beware this change invokes a complete router reboot and these are my 2.4 GHz wireless settings.
Currently have a connect time of 655 Hours for various IoT devices ( bulbs, smart plugs, GoogleTV e.t.c ) on the 2.4 GHz band. Never had a problem with the 5.0 GHz band.

Attachments

• RT-AX56U - Professional.png
    RT-AX56U - Professional.png
    348.5 KB · Views: 175
  • RT-AX56U - General.png
    RT-AX56U - General.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 152
I have changed USB mode to USB 2.0 (Administration/System tab), beware this change invokes a complete router reboot and these are my 2.4 GHz wireless settings.
Maybe completely unrelated, but I also experienced 2.4 GHz drops from time to time, including the disappearance of one spatial stream when copying files from HDD attached to the router. What I've noticed is that changing the preamble type back to "Long" solves the issue (I also initially used the "Short" type just like you). I think that, at least in my case, this helped because of interference caused by enormous number of other WiFi networks in vicinity (more than 30), and switching to the long preamble improves the error checking.
So maybe give it a try.

Maybe completely unrelated, but I also experienced 2.4 GHz drops from time to time, including the disappearance of one spatial stream when copying files from HDD attached to the router. What I've noticed is that changing the preamble type back to "Long" solves the issue (I also initially used the "Short" type just like you). I think that, at least in my case, this helped because of interference caused by enormous number of other WiFi networks in vicinity (more than 30), and switching to the long preamble improves the error checking.
So maybe give it a try.
Thanks for the suggestion but I had tried preamble set to long initially, thinking along the same lines as you but it didn't appear to help. Since things have been stable for a while now, I'm reluctant to make any further changes. To be honest I still don't know which if any of the many changes have had any real effect but changing to USB 2.0 mode was probably the most recent and since I don't use any USB devices, there appears to be no downside for my setup.

Downgrading to 384.19 seems to be a fix for some people, I was unable to test this as 384.19 was never available for the AX56U.
Currently have a connect time of 655 Hours for various IoT devices ( bulbs, smart plugs, GoogleTV e.t.c ) on the 2.4 GHz band. Never had a problem with the 5.0 GHz band.
Thanks for the heads up. I've just completed a restore to default settings (still on Merlin) on my router and haven't seen the issue so far. Currently trying to restore the config piece by piece (just to rule out anything).

Any issues with plugins/swap files when using USB 2.0?

Thanks for the heads up. I've just completed a restore to default settings (still on Merlin) on my router and haven't seen the issue so far. Currently trying to restore the config piece by piece (just to rule out anything).

Any issues with plugins/swap files when using USB 2.0?
I'm only using CakeQOS and scMerlin scripts with no swap file in use so can't comment on the effect of using USB 2.0 . Maybe only change USB setting as a last resort if nothing else has worked?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!