What's new

RT-AX58U Crashing Regularly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheDaveAbides

Occasional Visitor
I've had issues with the AX58U, previously.

I tried to factory restore the device, but I didn't follow the steps correctly, so I still ended up on Merlin firmware. Which was fine, the reboots seemed to have slowed. However, after upgrading Merlin to 388.1, the reboots are much more frequent. I'm not sure what the next steps are, if I should attempt to put on stock firmware or what. I also did recently change ISP, going from cable to T-mobile home internet, though I doubt that's the issue. There's certainly separate issues there, with CGNAT, IPV6, and whatever else, but I don't believe it is related.

Crashes around Dec 17 9:44, 10:40

I do not know if you seen this one user was fighting with different Asus 5y ago https://amigotechnotes.wordpress.com/2017/03/24/asus-rt-ac1200g-random-reboots-automatically/
random reboots etc. It is very good documented and maybe something give you same idea what going on.
Thanks, I had not seen that. There is just so much information there, I'm not even sure where to begin. Readings of my previous log files, no one could find what was causing the crash. It seemed like just a reset.

what was told by Asus they make sometimes FW update w/o user know about it but most time I notice it it was at midnight |EU time not sure if this timing warry but you are using RMerlin and it should not work the same.

when you moved to new FW did you clear nvram/ back to factory and did not load any configuration but setup all manually?

what was told by Asus they make sometimes FW update w/o user know about it but most time I notice it it was at midnight |EU time not sure if this timing warry but you are using RMerlin and it should not work the same.

when you moved to new FW did you clear nvram/ back to factory and did not load any configuration but setup all manually?
No, I just downloaded the file and uploaded it manually.

UPDATE: I was able to revert to default firmware. I failed at this previously. The issue was, you need to use an older firmware (3.0.0.4.386.45898) before updating to the latest. I did it straight, didn't do a NVRAM reset, factory reset, settings. I'm sure it's not the recommended way. It does seem more stable than it has been the last 3 days. Time will tell.