What's new

RT-AX58U Dual WAN - Shows Connected Even When Fiber Not Connected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

monorailmedic

Occasional Visitor
I have an RT -AX58U running 382.2_2 (but this prob existed with 382.1, as well) with a dual WAN setup that has two problems:

1) Whether verifying connectivity ping, DNS, or both, one of my connections shows "Connected" even though the fiber on that media-converter isn't connected to anything at all.
2) The router is prioritizing this bad connection even when it's set to the secondary connection, and the primary has a legitimately working connection.

What's odd is that all worked well initially. A fiber was cut and my connection fell to the secondary connection. Hours later, however, I had no connection because for some reason the router went back to the connection with the cut fiber. I flipped which was primary and which was secondary (as a temp fix) only to find that not only did it still think the WAN with cut fiber was connected, but also, it preferred it over the other WAN which works.

I searched but didn't find this as a known bug. Any insights/ideas?

*Edit: Found someone with a similar issue. Not opposed to trying a third party solution here, but seems so strange.

Last edited: