What's new

RT-AX58U: Issues on 2.4Ghz only - interpret errors in log?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

as_netwerk

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

A few days ago I purchased a new RT-AX58U router.
I have set it up using 2 different SSID's for 2.4 / 5, and also assigned fixed channels for both bands.

The 5 Ghz-band works perfectly: it is stable, fast, range is great.
The 2.4 Ghz-band unfortunately gives me headaches: it is not stable, usually not fast, gives errors and devices (both newer and older) have issues with it.

On rare occasions the 2.4Ghz is fast, but then it drops out and is very slow. In the network-log I get the following error (there are many of these, I just selected two of them).
If it is fast my smart-tv gives me great 4K-quality on (for example) Netflix. If the issue occurs and 2.4Ghz is slow it has to buffer all the time and I am seeing in 480p...

The error-log shows a lot of these:
Apr 12 11:51:29 kernel: ppr_get_vht_mcs: Failed ppr_t:d1431000 BW:0 Nss:1 mode:0 TX_Chain:2 rateset:d6cb9904
Apr 12 11:51:30 kernel: ppr_get_vht_mcs: Failed ppr_t:d1431000 BW:0 Nss:1 mode:0 TX_Chain:2 rateset:d6cb9aac
Some troubleshooting steps I already tried:
  • Reboot (ISP-modem, router, devices)
  • Back to factory settings (router / and some devices to test this)
  • Power-cycle devices, router, modem
  • Different channels (both fixed, and auto-mode)
  • Firmware test
    • 3.0.0.4.386.42095 (latest)
    • 3.0.0.4.386.41700 (previous non-beta release)

I get the issues on both versions, so I am currently on the latest: 3.0.0.4.386.42095.
I am still in my return-period for this device, but I hope to fix it instead of having to return it and find myself a different model / router.

Does anyone have an idea? And an interpretation for these specific errors. Could this be a 2.4Ghz radio 'kind-of-deadonarrival'?

Some 2.4GHz WiFi devices have problems with some of the newer "ax" features. Try changing these in the 2.4 GHz Wireless Professional settings.

Modulation Scheme = MCS 7 (802.11n)
Airtime Fairness = Disable
Universal Beamforming = Disable

Some 2.4GHz WiFi devices have problems with some of the newer "ax" features. Try changing these in the 2.4 GHz Wireless Professional settings.

Modulation Scheme = MCS 7 (802.11n)
Airtime Fairness = Disable
Universal Beamforming = Disable
Thanks, will try this and report back.

Out of curiousity: if these adjustments fix the problem, why does the 2.4Ghz band work fast after a reboot. But then after a while drops connections, becomes slow et cetera. It just feels a bit strange to me that a device is capable of dealing with these ax-features for like 20 minutes, then decide they are not capable ;)

No idea. Those settings might not make any difference for you. But bear in mind that WiFi is a shared medium so different combinations of devices will be trying to use the airtime in different ways at different times.

Can you post information on how strong is the signal, noise and/or link rates at the location of that client. Wi-Fi can be finicky at the edges of the usable area.

Can you post information on how strong is the signal, noise and/or link rates at the location of that client. Wi-Fi can be finicky at the edges of the usable area.

Is this the information you meant?
Stations List
----------------------------------------
Associated Authorized RSSI PHY PSM SGI STBC MUBF NSS BW Tx rate Rx rate
Yes Yes -51dBm n No Yes Yes No 2 20M 7.2M 1M

Is that line for the TV? was it active at the time (streaming)? Signal looks fine, but TX and RX rates are really low
Correct, but this is thus after a while.
If I reboot the router or something, the rates for this line are 144.4M / 144.4M (TX / RX). But then after a while 'something' happens and these are the values I get.

This happens on the TV. But also on other devices like an iPhone 12 et cetera.

Correct, but this is thus after a while.
If I reboot the router or something, the rates for this line are 144.4M / 144.4M (TX / RX). But then after a while 'something' happens and these are the values I get.

This happens on the TV. But also on other devices like an iPhone 12 et cetera.
Can you check the noise reported for the 2.4Ghz band (should be in the first few couple of lines in System Log->Wireless Log)? Doing a survey of the 2.4 channels with an app like Netspot might be useful to rule out interference from neighbouring APs using unusual or wide channels.

That's not unusual. Most of my "idle" devices are showing similar low values but then speed up again when there is demand.

Can you check the noise reported for the 2.4Ghz band (should be in the first few couple of lines in System Log->Wireless Log)? Doing a survey of the 2.4 channels with an app like Netspot might be useful to rule out interference from neighbouring APs using unusual or wide channels.
For the 2.4Ghz band:
Noise: -89 dBm
Channel: 6

That looks normal too.
Can that TV connect to the 5Ghz band? Can it keep a usable connection on that band?
Unfortunately the TV can not, it only supports 2.4. It is however a relatively new model (late 2019 or 2020).
On the other devices that I use (HP Zbook, iPhone 12, iPad Air) that have this problem I can connect to 5Ghz.

And can confirm that on the 5Ghz there is no issue whatsoever: stable, high-speeds, no drop-outs etc.

Issue still persists unfortunately. Do you guys think this might be a hardware issue and that the 2.4 Ghz hardware components are faulty? Or would that be unlikely given that 5Ghz works perfectly?

I would bet on a firmware issue. You could try to disable in the 2.4 band the features mentioned here:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042475/ ([Wireless] How to improve compatibility of IoT device with ASUS WiFi 6(AX) Router?)

If this doesn't work you could try the Merlin firmware with and without all the AX features disabled in the 2.4 band.

I would bet on a firmware issue. You could try to disable in the 2.4 band the features mentioned here:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042475/ ([Wireless] How to improve compatibility of IoT device with ASUS WiFi 6(AX) Router?)

If this doesn't work you could try the Merlin firmware with and without all the AX features disabled in the 2.4 band.
An update: I received a new AX58U unit, this one is working great pretty much out of the box.
Only thing I changed was disabling UPNP for safety reasons and activitating the LED 'stealth mode'.

What I did notice in the new unit: there was a different type of power supply.
Otherwise it all looks the same, so it could have been a faulty unit or something, but at least I am out of frustration now.

Thanks so much Tucu for all your ideas and troubleshooting with me, it was highly appreciated!

Hi there,
AX58U here, I have same identical issue with 2.4 ghz.
i have the Merlin release 386.2.
if I reboot or change Wi-Fi settings it works for a while, after that connection is very slow (about 1/2Mb).
no luck disabling ax settings

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!