What's new

RT-AX58U lan ports not working after firmware update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wergeta

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I have a strange issue that stops me from updating firmware on my RT-AX58U. Currently, I'm sitting on 3.0.0.4.384_9918 and basically, this is the last version that works for me. I have a PC connected to the router via Ethernet cable and a couple of Wi-Fi devices. The problem is when I'm trying to update the firmware to a newer version LAN ports stop working and the PC is showing that Ethernet is not connected physically or damaged. I've tried several different firmware versions (Version 3.0.0.4.384.10177, Version 3.0.0.4.386.41700, Version 9.0.0.4.386.41994 Beta Version and also Merlin 386.1_2). Meanwhile, Wi-Fi is working as expected. Rollback to 3.0.0.4.384_9918 fixes the issue. I've tried to reboot, switch off, reset to the factory after updating the firmware, but it didn't help.

I've tried t search for a solution and found a couple of old threads where people were complaining about LAN ports on their ASUS routers stop working eventually, but nothing relevant to my case.

Does anyone have any idea, what the problem could be and how it could be fixed?

I've heard the same complains from some AX58U users that after upgrading to versions after 3.0.0.4.384_9918 their LAN connectivity became unstable or disappeared completely. One of the theories is that the later versions of firmware somehow increased the sensitivity to the quality of Ethernet connections. If the bug you are experiencing is not caused by a hardware failure (which theoretically may be a case), then you can try changing your Ethernet cable.

Thanks a lot for the idea! I've updated my old 100mbit-compatible LAN cable with a new one, which supports 1gbit and the issue was fixed! That's really strange because this cable is still working fine with other devices and I see that it's still able to provide a 100mbit connection speed, but it's not working with this particular router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!