What's new

RT-AX58U looses bandwidth after 2 weeks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

socaljazzdude

Occasional Visitor
Hi all. I bought my AX58U from Best Buy back in May and I initially set it up as a Wireless Media Bridge to use with my desktop PC and my work laptop. At first the router would work great giving me the full 400Mbps/20Mbps connection that I pay Spectrum for. After two weeks, the amount of bandwidth drops to what seems like dial up speeds.

I have reset the router to factory settings and set it up as a AImesh node paired with my Asus RT-AC86U(also reset to factory settings in setting up AImesh). Both my desktop and work laptop are connected to the AX58U via Cat 6 cable and both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios are used in my home by various iOS clients.

I noticed the same problem occurs in that after 2 weeks, bandwidth slows down to a crawl. I restart the AX58U and everything goes back to normal for 2 weeks. After another 2 weeks the AX58 slows down to a crawl, so I do another factory reset of both routers. The same result occurs after 2 weeks.

I notice this because on my work laptop Cisco Anyconnect keeps loosing the connection. On my desktop, I get really slow speed tests of maybe 2Mbps download speeds. The same thing happens with my iPhone 8 Plus and my 8th generation iPad that end up being in the vicinity of my AX58U,. Connection speed is just really sluggish after 2 weeks.

Everything else connected to my primary router, the 2017 vintage Asus RT-AC86U have a perfect connection. I ended up setting all of my wireless clients to bind to the A86U, but still the problem remains for my work laptop and my desktop.

I have reset this router to factory settings several times using latest versions of both the Asus Stock firmware and Merlin, but I get the same result after 2 weeks.

Do I just have a lemon of a router or is there something that I'm missing? I've seen quite a number of threads on here of people complaining about the AX58U. Could this be a heat issue or some sort of flaw in the AX58U itself?

I just want this router to work and be provide a dependable connection for my client devices. Do any of you have any advice on what I can do with this AX58U other than reach out to Asus directly for a replacement?

Last edited:
This is a pretty common issue with this model and possibly other AX based models from Asus. I also own an AX58U and experience this every week to week and a half. Sometimes some firmware updates make it worse, sometimes it doesn't. There is no rhyme or reason to when it drops speeds to dialup levels. Im currently looking to replace this model after owning it and having issues since April 2020.

The new AX models are just not as good as the RT-AC68U or RT-AC86U. They are prone to random bugs on the WiFi radio.

I use the reboot scheduler feature to reboot the router every night. Not ideal but that's the best solution for now.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!