What's new

RT-AX68U on 386.2_4 - changing usb port modes reboots router (bug?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jumboframesZ

New Around Here
Hey, everyone!
Just installed currently latest merlin fw 386.2_4 on brand new RT-AX68U, so far everything seems nice, only I noticed this one thing:

I am using both usb port with usb flash sticks (both usb 3.0) for storage.

Both usb sticks shows as USB 3.0 in merlin's fw "Network Map". But RT-AX68u have 1x usb 2.0 port and 1x usb 3.0 port.

So it would be logical to change usb 3.0 mode to usb 2.0 mode for usb stick which is using usb2 port.

And when I do that in merlin's fw webui, it does apply changes, but in the meantime router gets restarted and BOTH usb stick modes are changed to usb 2.0.
When I change back to usb 3 for one which need to be run as usb 3.0 , then router gets rebooted again when applying changes and both shows as usb3.0 again.

I think its a bug.
Both usb sticks runs as they should regardless of these changes, but probably this needs to be fixed in next fw versions.

If you see two USB 3.0 on the network map, I think this is a UI error, and Asus may confuse RT-AX86U and RT-AX68U.

But if you force it to USB 2.0, it will downgrade all ports to USB 2.0. I think this is by design, because it will ensure that no USB 3.0 interferes with the WIFI signal.

Please remember that the UI display error does not mean that you really have two USB 3.0 ports, one of which is still running in USB 2.0 mode because it lacks the pins required for USB 3.0.

So, just report it to Asus, and then don't worry about it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!