What's new

RT-AX82U loses connection to some devices (not internet)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Satchnz

Occasional Visitor
I have a strange problem with my wireless network and I’m at a loss as how to resolve it.

My RT-AX82U is connected to my server computer (a Win 10 pc) via Ethernet. I also have multiple devices throughout the house connected to it via WIFI (Laptops, Apple TVs, Alexa devices, iPhones, iPads, smart TVs, Bose speakers, and WI-FI enabled lamps and fans. These devices are connected via a mixture of 2.4 and 5ghz.

I’m experiencing two issues:
  1. My iPhones and iPads periodically lose connection via the iOS/iPadOS Files apps to my server computer. But when this happens, I never lose an internet connection, and I can still remote into the server computer using the VNC app on each. A reboot of the devices restores the connection.
  2. I have a Bose Soundbar 700, and a Bose Home Speaker 500, both Alexa enabled. Alexa regularly stops working on these two devices and only starts working again after I reboot them. Neither ever lose their internet connection when this happens, and I’m still able to use Spotify Connect to play music to them.
Am I rightly assuming that it is my router that is causing these issues? Would anyone happen to know why, and how to fix these issues?

Happy to provide further information on my setup if required. Thanks in advance for any advice given!

I have reported this to asus, have you look under system log -wifi, see if the siginal is weak. Else head to asus forum hardware software support and report, if u look your see my post.
Not that I got far with it.....
Also I would get the mobile app wifi analyser, could be a crossed siginal

Last edited:
I have reported this to asus, have you look under system log -wifi, see if the siginal is weak. Else head to asus forum hardware software support and report, if u look your see my post.
Not that I got far with it.....
Also I would get the mobile app wifi analyser, could be a crossed siginal
Thanks for your response.
I don’t think the signal is weak as other devices in the same location are fine. Plus the Bose speaker is still connected to the network and will play music streamed from the internet. It’s just Alexa that stops working frequently.

I’ve got the Wi-Fi Analyser app but not sure where to look for a crossed signal. Could you please elaborate?

Finally could you please share a link to the thread you posted on the ASUS forums?

I don’t think the iPhone version of that app shows other signals? Regardless, in the location I’m talking about, only Alexa keeps failing on my Bose speaker. The very same device still continues to receive a Wi-Fi signal and operates correctly. The Wi-Fi signal is plenty strong enough.

Thanks for the link. I’ll check your thread out.

On your iphone make sure mac faking is off, when on a safe wifi.
And that would be alexa blue tooth issue as that how I guess it connects to your speaker

Alexa is run via Wi-Fi on Bose speakers. Something really weird is going on but I doubt I’ll be able to get to the bottom of it sadly.

Ok, so it's just a alexa big speaker, have you gone In to the alexa app and re did the wifi setup, I've not had any problems with my Alexas or echo's yet I'm not using a 3ed party alexa. Have you checked on Bose forums see if others had a issue?

I’ve just done a complete factory reset of the speaker and set it up from scratch. I’ll see how that goes.

None of my Amazon Alexa devices ever have issues. I’ve even got an Echo Show 5 next to my Bose Soundbar on the lounge. Alexa on the soundbar frequently stops working yet the Echo Show 5 continues to work with no problems.

Unfortunately Bose closed their forums earlier this year so I cannot use that to get help.

I appreciate your continued help by the way

There is a topic on here about it, have to search, but more less is a security risk + interferes with the wifi, an can cause wifi dropouts.

Think that right?

Also if you go to Bose and find your product, see if they have any updates for the device. Else could be like smart tvs they work untill cover stops then they dont maintain any more and app etc stop to work.

All my Bose products are up to date. Updates are released fairly regularly and the two devices I’m having issues with are still currently sold.