What's new

RT-AX82U or RT-AX86S

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cniedzi

Occasional Visitor
Guys,

I own such AiMesh system: RT-AX86U (main) + RT-AX82U (node) + RT-AC86U (node). All backhauls are wireless. I'm looking for the AC86U replacement to have the whole AiMesh system that is fully WiFi 6 compatible.
What you advise to get - another AX82U or AX86S? Is it worth upgrading my old AC86U at all?

I would sell both AC86U and AX82U and get 2x AX86S for nodes. This way all your routers will run the same firmware, have the same radios and be updated at the same time when a new firmware becomes available. This is the best case scenario for wireless AiMesh setup.
Done as you've advised :)

Please tell me which one is better to buy: AX-68U, AX-82U or AX 86S ? The most important parameter is a large radius WI-FI 2,4-5 Ggz.

Avoid AX68U - history of connection issues and not popular. AX82U is just the "gaming version" of entry-level AX58U, with some features unlocked. AX86S is the better choice - faster CPU and better Wi-Fi. Range is average for the class. Wi-Fi is 2-way communication. Very "powerful" router is useless, if your clients can't reply back from a distance.

Thank you for your informative answer. Honestly, you upset me about AX68U, I had the most hopes for it. I watched the review, so it has the best indicator of penetration through walls in both ranges, and at the same time low speed drop coefficient. AX86S, showed significantly worse results in this regard.
I still don't understand why AX82U is more expensive for AX86S, doesn't that mean it's better?

Honestly, you upset me about AX68U

Quick SNB Forum search will show you this thread:

This router is the only AX-class Asus router using BCM6710 for 5GHz. Took them quite some time to fix the firmware, if it's fixed.

Do you like gambling? :)

This is how popular it is here on SNB Forums:

Compare the activity after firmware release for other models.

It's quite ugly too. Looks like a toaster. :)

Thank you! Do you know if AX86S is much inferior in performance and WI-FI AX86U coverage?
I'll follow your advice,and order AX86S, but what else do you think about such an option as TUF 5400 ?

Do you know if AX86S is much inferior in performance and WI-FI AX86U coverage?

Both routers have identical Wi-Fi performance - the same radios hardware with the same firmware.

what else do you think about such an option as TUF 5400

Yet another "gaming" variant of entry-level AX58U. All the routers below are based on the same hardware:

RT-AX58U/RT-AX3000
RT-AX82U
ROG Strix GS-AX3000
ROG Strix GS-AX5400
TUF Gaming AX3000
TUF Gaming AX5400

The hardware is AX5400 class capable, AX3000 routers are software limited and have less firmware features.

Both routers have identical Wi-Fi performance - the same hardware with the same firmware.

Yet another "gaming" variant of entry-level AX58U. All the routers below are based on the same hardware:

RT-AX58U/RT-AX3000
RT-AX82U
ROG Strix GS-AX3000
ROG Strix GS-AX5400
TUF Gaming AX3000
TUF Gaming AX5400

The hardware is AX5400 class capable, AX3000 routers are software limited and have less firmware features.

Thank you. If the recommendation has not changed, I order AX86S.
Good luck !

How a router (any) will work in your Wi-Fi environment is unknown even if you read all the reviews and recommendations available. A review in North America doesn't apply to users in Europe and vice versa, for example. Different regions - different radio regulations. Just get one from a store with good return policy and try it yourself. If it works well for you - good. If it doesn't - send it back.

@Nykson, @cniedzi,

The RT-AX68U is an excellent performing router (even if it isn't as pretty as some others). The reliability is great for the ones I know of. And their performance is outstanding vs. the RT-AC86U.

Don't let a few people with negative results turn you off this excellent buy. Nor allow people that do not use Asus routers daily in their networks to influence you on what you should be buying/testing in your own environment.

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

The RT-AX86s on the other hand is a poor choice today for a main router. The RT-AX86U is the far better choice for a few more dollars.

The best, bang-for-the-buck model you can buy today is the GT-AX6000. And that offers ~20% better throughput than my RT-AX86U in my environment while being the most balanced (hardware) router available from Asus (or anyone else) today.

What I would suggest is you buy both routers (RT-AX68U and GT-AX6000), test them fully in your environment, and return/sell the ones you don't need.

How a router (any) will work in your Wi-Fi environment is unknown even if you read all the reviews and recommendations available. A review in North America doesn't apply to users in Europe and vice versa, for example. Different regions - different radio regulations. Just get one from a store with good return policy and try it yourself. If it works well for you - good. If it doesn't - send it back.
@Nykson, @cniedzi,
The RT-AX68U is an excellent performing router (even if it isn't as pretty as some others). The reliability is great for the ones I know of. And their performance is outstanding vs. the RT-AC86U.

Don't let a few people with negative results turn you off this excellent buy. Nor allow people that do not use Asus routers daily in their networks to influence you on what you should be buying/testing in your own environment.

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

The RT-AX86s on the other hand is a poor choice today for a main router. The RT-AX86U is the far better choice for a few more dollars.

The best, bang-for-the-buck model you can buy today is the GT-AX6000. And that offers ~20% better throughput than my RT-AX86U in my environment while being the most balanced (hardware) router available from Asus (or anyone else) today.

What I would suggest is you buy both routers (RT-AX68U and GT-AX6000), test them fully in your environment, and return/sell the ones you don't need.
Thank you for sharing a very interesting opinion. If you published it a little earlier, I would immerse myself in reflection again, but I have already paid, and today I ordered AX86S. The fact is that I like how the AX68 looks, and I chose it consciously. Especially after watching the review, where it showed very good performance in terms of range, stability, and WI-FI penetration. But the store where I wanted to buy it said before sending that there were problems with the device, and offered to take the AX86S as an alternative. As a result, I came here for help.
Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy the AX6000 now. And how necessary is it if I now have a speed from the provider of 100Mb? At the moment I'm using the AX55, and it suits me, but I want to create i it AiMesh. Thanks

It's never too late. Like I said, return/sell, if needed. But definitely stick to what works in your environment for a price that seems fair to you. ;)

Я бы предложил купить оба маршрутизатора (RT-AX68U и GT-AX6000), полностью протестировать их в своей среде и вернуть/продать те, которые вам не нужны.
It won't work. You can return it only because of a factory defect, and if the device has been used at least as much, it cannot be returned. You can sell for a very long time, and at a big discount.

You're buying from the wrong places then.