RT-AX86 Series

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Con

Occasional Visitor
Just at the ASUS website and see that the support page now states " RT-AX86 Series (RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S)". Searched the web and found no info on a RT-AX86S. Anyone heard anything about this or have any information/gossip as to what is coming?

UPDATE: Just found the following info and differences, the S variant has only 512MB of RAM instead of 1GB, S has no 2.5 GBE port, and the S has 1 USB 2.0 port. Both have 1.8GHZ processor.

Last edited:

Con

Occasional Visitor
I never said "they are the same". I said they were both using a 1.8GHZ processor, which they are.

icemankent

Occasional Visitor
I just bought one.
RT-AX86u.
I wanted to check for a firmware update.
The ONLY selection on that page is for the "S" model, and worse yet, it says "We don’t currently provide a software utility or drivers for this model.".
When you click on Bios and Firmware, the same one selection is also just the "S" model. Clicking on that produces (nothing) - it goes nowhere.
What ???!!!
1624319162668.png

Going_Strong

Regular Contributor
I just bought one.
RT-AX86u.
I wanted to check for a firmware update.
The ONLY selection on that page is for the "S" model, and worse yet, it says "We don’t currently provide a software utility or drivers for this model.".
When you click on Bios and Firmware, the same one selection is also just the "S" model. Clicking on that produces (nothing) - it goes nowhere.
What ???!!!
View attachment 34551

Use this link: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-6/All-series/RT-AX86U/HelpDesk_BIOS/ and you can easily select a model.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
UPDATE: Just found the following info and differences, the S variant has only 512MB of RAM instead of 1GB, S has no 2.5 GBE port, and the S has 1 USB 2.0 port. Both have 1.8GHZ processor.
Where did you find the info on this model?

BTW, this is the new model I mentioned a few weeks ago when I said I had received a yet unannounced model. Just curious to see if its specs are now public.

EDIT: I see they are now on their website, they just have the same product page for both models, with differences annotated on it.

Last edited:

John Fitzgerald

Where did you find the info on this model?

BTW, this is the new model I mentioned a few weeks ago when I said I had received a yet unannounced model. Just curious to see if its specs are now public.

EDIT: I see they are now on their website, they just have the same product page for both models, with differences annotated on it.

It seems that they are devaluing their own market when compared to the RT-AX68U.

How does this fit in? It appears to be a gimped model. Confuse the consumer, like a shell game?

So what can we expect?

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
So the "S" version has half the RAM, half of the number of cores in the processor and no 2.5 GB LAN port.

Should make a wonderful router for the average home and a great AiMesh node.

leerees

Unless you are running custom scripts, dual core and 512MB RAM is more than enough.

sorachan

Occasional Visitor
It seems that they are devaluing their own market when compared to the RT-AX68U.

How does this fit in? It appears to be a gimped model. Confuse the consumer, like a shell game?

So what can we expect?
Most likely they can't source enough 2.5G PHY chips (See my old post), so they created a new product without 2.5G chip, with slightly crippled specs to differentiate...

Last edited: