What's new

RT-AX86S latest firmware ending in 22068 w/vpn fusion breaks router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrmason

Occasional Visitor
Previous firmware works great 3.0.0.4.388_21709. Upgraded to the latest Version 3.0.0.4.388.22068 and it breaks the router when turning on vpn fusion and enabling an added profile.

Router becomes inaccessible via browser at it's ip address. Lose all wifi networks and ethernet wired connection. Lights on router keep flashing. WAN light turns red, then goes off and back to red and off. Keeps repeating this pattern. Tried hardware reset and same issue. Router works fine until I enable vpn fusion, add and enable a wireguard profile. Note, this has worked flawlessly on all firmware versions prior to 22068.

I ended up having to download the previous firmware ending in 21709. Reset the router using the hardware reset button. Flash previous firmware ending in 21709 to router. Enable vpn fusion, add profile and voila' all works perfectly.

I wasted hours trying to get this to work. Router works fine with 22068 until one uses vpn fusion feature. As soon as one adds a wireguard profile and enables it, router breaks.

I noticed in the description for 22068, it mentions vpn and wireguard so the devs were definitely making changes in this area and appears it was insufficiently tested and has some significant breaking changes.
1. Improved system stability.
2. Fixed the IPsec VPN compatibility issue with Win10.
3. Fixed the VPN fusion user interface issues under the HTTPS connection.
4. Fixed Client DOM Stored XSS vulnerability.
5. Improved Wireguard performance.

One thing I do on my router is change the subnet and dhcp range. Perhaps that use case was not properly tested.

I also did the upgrade from within the web interface. Perhaps it didn't upgrade properly and I should download it from asus website and upload it manually? Do you think that would make a difference?

Curious if anyone else has had a similar experience? Or has comments about this. Please chime in.

Last edited:
Do you think that would make a difference?

No. Wait for better firmware or revert to previous version that works for you. 22068 has other things broken too.

Happy New Year!

Previous firmware works great 3.0.0.4.388_21709. Upgraded to the latest Version 3.0.0.4.388.22068 and it breaks the router when turning on vpn fusion and enabling an added profile.

Router becomes inaccessible via browser at it's ip address. Lose all wifi networks and ethernet wired connection. Lights on router keep flashing. WAN light turns red, then goes off and back to red and off. Keeps repeating this pattern. Tried hardware reset and same issue. Router works fine until I enable vpn fusion, add and enable a wireguard profile. Note, this has worked flawlessly on all firmware versions prior to 22068.

I ended up having to download the previous firmware ending in 21709. Reset the router using the hardware reset button. Flash previous firmware ending in 21709 to router. Enable vpn fusion, add profile and voila' all works perfectly.

I wasted hours trying to get this to work. Router works fine with 22068 until one uses vpn fusion feature. As soon as one adds a wireguard profile and enables it, router breaks.

I noticed in the description for 22068, it mentions vpn and wireguard so the devs were definitely making changes in this area and appears it was insufficiently tested and has some significant breaking changes.

One thing I do on my router is change the subnet and dhcp range. Perhaps that use case was not properly tested.

I also did the upgrade from within the web interface. Perhaps it didn't upgrade properly and I should download it from asus website and upload it manually? Do you think that would make a difference?

Curious if anyone else has had a similar experience? Or has comments about this. Please chime in.
Please make sure you report this to Asus via the router feedback. They do not read these forums so we are told.

388.22068 works fine for me but I do not use a VPN client on the router.

Please make sure you report this to Asus via the router feedback. They do not read these forums so we are told.

388.22068 works fine for me but I do not use a VPN client on the router.
That's a great idea. What is the URL for Asus router feedback and I'll report it. Thank you.

Did you ever find a solution. Having the same problem after 9.0.0.6.102.3506 beta

Having the same problem after 9.0.0.6.102.3506 beta

Report what's not working to Asus via Feedback form. The purpose of this beta is features preview and testing. Not intended for production. The final release may or may not have all the features available in beta. The final release will be ready perhaps in many months from now.

Report what's not working to Asus via Feedback form. The purpose of this beta is features preview and testing. Not intended for production. The final release may or may not have all the features available in beta. The final release will be ready perhaps in many months from now.

Unfortunately, I had to roll back to working version and have not updated since. To have a bug this serious not be addressed by Asus is unacceptable.

Did you try the latest 388_22525 firmware?

I"m hesitant to try as I'm concerned the bug has not been resolved and would then necessitate spending several hours to rollback, reset and configure my router again. How can we find out if this issue has been resolved? I need to know the bug is resolved before I update.

For newest firmware, I noticed this:
5.Fixed the reboot issue when assigning specific clients in VPN fusion.

To the best of my memory the bug didn't happen on reboot. It happened right after the update. Rebooting didn't fix it. So this may or may not be the fix. How to confirm?

Hoping someone on this forum is using 3.0.0.4.388.22525 and VPN Fusion and can confirm if working or broken? I will create a new thread with this heading, hope someone sees it and can confirm.

Load the latest firmware, reset the router, configure manually, test if it works for you. You have a $50 hardware device with perpetual beta firmware. Use what you can or get better equipment. This is how it works on the consumer market - the manufacturers sell you the device first and then start fixing it.

Sadly, true except it is a $229 device which they sold working and then broke it. It appears the firmware is out of beta now.

Sadly, true except it is a $229 device

This is what you have paid for it including logistics, manufacturer profit, vendor profit, reseller profit, marketing, development, warranty and support.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!