What's new

RT-AX86S Setup and Troubleshooting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SteelSteve

Occasional Visitor
I went to my local brick and mortar to pick up the RT-AX86U to replace my failed Alien router. Unfortunately, the only model they had in stock turned out to be the AX86S so with having done no research on this device I picked it up. I have Verizon FIOS Gigabit and should be seeing between 800 - 1000 on both upload and download speeds from my ISP. Unfortunately, from both the router and a wired client I am only seeing at best 700MB download and 300MB upload. I have turned off QoS, AI Protection, Game mode settings etc, but it has made no difference often times my speeds drop as low as 400MB Down and 200MB up. To make matters worse I was trying to stream Amazon prime on my TV tonight while my wife was playing on her iPad and streaming music in the bedroom and we both kept having pauses for several minutes at a time. I have kept an eye on router resources and have noticed that the RAM stays at about 90% usage pretty much continually, but the CPU seemed to be around 20%. I've been wondering if an actual AX86U with my ISP plugged into the 2.5GB WAN port would possibly help get my speeds from the router to the ISP back up, and with extra 512MB I would think that would help it handle multiple devices streaming and gaming at the same time. Before I do that however I wanted to get opinions from the people here who are smarter and more experienced with ASUS routers than I am. Here are my basic configuration settings:
Firmware - Latest ASUS Official Firmware
ISP = Verizon FIOS Gigabit service, with a CAT6 Ethernet cable going from the modem to my router. Now the modem is above the garage in my son's room and the router is located in my office approx 30 feet apart.
I use the 2.4 MHZ channel mainly for my IOT devices and those devices too old to connect to the 5GHZ band so I am not using smart connect opting for 2 separate SSIDs 2.4 is set to auto channel and 40 bandwidth, 5 is set to auto and I just set it down to 80 for bandwidth hoping it might help with the drops. I also turned on Agile Multiband as the research I did seem to imply this would help with speed and stability
Total number of devices is between 30 - 40
I'm also considering if I get the AX86U making this 86s a wired node in my son's room and trying AI Mesh, especially since my living room is sort of in the middle between my office and his room and most of the equipment in there is using wifi to perhaps help strengthen the 5ghz signal in there.

Unfortunately, from both the router and a wired client I am only seeing at best 700MB download and 300MB upload.

Not sure if a solution was found. It just happens with some ISPs.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!