What's new

RT-AX86S vs RT-AX86U vs RT-AX86U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vlord

Regular Contributor
I've spent some time scouring FCC documentation for these models (and also the GT-AX6000) and updated the wikipedia page to reflect the components used per the teardown pics

Key tech differences:
  1. AX86U has 4 vs 2 core CPU, same speed at 1.8GHz
  2. AX86U includes an extra 2.5 Gbit ethernet port
  3. AX86U has 2 USB 3.0 ports vs 1 3.0 and 1 2.0 port
  4. AX86U has 1Gb Ram vs 512Mb
  5. AX86U-Pro has a faster quad core processor vs the U and S

According to Asus's own testing, wifi (specifically DFS) is the same across the models. Check page 9 [here|https://fccid.io/MSQ-RTAXI600/Test-Report/Test-Report-DFS-5347368]

1684958923759.png

So rest assured, if you are looking at any of these models, unless you can utilize the added hardware, there is no benefit to stepping up to the U/Pro.

So rest assured, if you are looking at any of these models, unless you can utilize the added hardware, there is no benefit to stepping up to the U/Pro.
That may be true if one is only looking at the hardware. Some will also consider or factor the firmware features in addition to the hardware. A good example; the Guest Network Pro feature that is not supported on the RT-AX86S and RT-AX86U, but is supported on the Rt-AX86U Pro.
[Wireless Router] What is guest network pro? How to use it?
Product GT-AX11000 Pro, GT-AX6000, ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000, RT-AX86U Pro, RT-AX88U Pro, ZenWiFi Pro ET12, ZenWIFI Pro XT12
Edit to add: A Dongknows blog post:
Asus RT-AX86S vs RT-AX86U vs RT-AX86U Pro: What’s the Deal?

I've spent some time scouring FCC documentation for these models (and also the GT-AX6000) and updated the wikipedia page to reflect the components used per the teardown pics

Key tech differences:
  1. AX86U has 4 vs 2 core CPU, same speed at 1.8GHz
  2. AX86U includes an extra 2.5 Gbit ethernet port
  3. AX86U has 2 USB 3.0 ports vs 1 3.0 and 1 2.0 port
  4. AX86U has 1Gb Ram vs 512Mb
  5. AX86U-Pro has a faster quad core processor vs the U and S

According to Asus's own testing, wifi (specifically DFS) is the same across the models. Check page 9 [here|https://fccid.io/MSQ-RTAXI600/Test-Report/Test-Report-DFS-5347368]

View attachment 50345

Any reason why the Wikipedia page omits the "Pro" versions of the routers?

Any reason why the Wikipedia page omits the "Pro" versions of the routers?

Not sure but it took a while to decipher the tear down to extract and confirm the U and S information. The teardown seems to be missing the Pro CPU. If someone has the pro and can cat /proc/socinfo then the wiki should be able to be updated with that model since all other components should be the same as the U from what I can see in the teardown. I suspect it‘s a BCM4912 similar to the GT-AX6000

@bbunge or @bennor - Mind confirming on yours?

Last edited:
Beta with unknow release date though. Technically unavailable at the moment. For testing purposes only.
For now yes those features are beta but eventually those features will likely be added to the non beta firmware at some point. It appears Asus is going to use certain firmware "features" like Guest Network Pro/VLANS to differentiate and justify the higher cost of the AX86U Pro over the AX86U, assuming they keep producing/selling the AX86U along side the AX86U Pro in the future.

Last edited:
If someone has the pro and can cat /proc/socinfo
The output from a RT-AX86U Pro:
Code:
SoC Name        :BCM4912
Revision        :1B0

The output from a RT-AX86U Pro:
Code:
SoC Name        :BCM4912
Revision        :1B0

Thanks - added the pro to Wikipedia. FWIW - same revision of the processor is used on the GT-AX6000.

The main befit of the pro models are the multi- gig ports and faster cpu. I went from the ax88u to ax88u pro and WiFi is a bit faster on benchmark, Note the chipset model number did increment between the old and new. For our house, the main upgrade benefit is the multi gig port for our NAS and future support of multi gig on the WAN side if FIOS ever releases it in our area. Also, as others stated above, VLAN support for Guest networks is a great benefit (once the next merlin update comes out p, I should be able to get rid of YAZFI).

The main befit of the pro models are the multi- gig ports and faster cpu. I went from the ax88u to ax88u pro and WiFi is a bit faster on benchmark, Note the chipset model number did increment between the old and new. For our house, the main upgrade benefit is the multi gig port for our NAS and future support of multi gig on the WAN side if FIOS ever releases it in our area. Also, as others stated above, VLAN support for Guest networks is a great benefit (once the next merlin update comes out p, I should be able to get rid of YAZFI).

Which chipset model number incremented? According to the teardown, it's the exact same chipset for 2.4 & 5G wireless. The only change was to the CPU from what I see. Also Asus published testing results stating that wireless performance is the same across all units.

As implied by bennor, there may be a firmware split between the Pro and the U/S with the Pro having more features. Its not yet clear though whether the 3.0.0.6 firmware will be exclusive to the Pro series and the GT-AX6000. Another factor is that the Pro should be supported further into the future because its newer. And the 2.5 gbps WAN and LAN ports offer some future-proofing. So I think the decision is not as simple as whether someone needs the additional hardware features.

Which chipset model number incremented? According to the teardown, it's the exact same chipset for 2.4 & 5G wireless. The only change was to the CPU from what I see. Also Asus published testing results stating that wireless performance is the same across all units.
I can post chipsets model numbers later as I don’t have them. Multiple reviewers have already benchmarked the non Pro vs Pro and noted small improvements with the Pro. I have first hand experience and saw similar improvements in my home.

I can post chipsets model numbers later as I don’t have them. Multiple reviewers have already benchmarked the non Pro vs Pro and noted small improvements with the Pro. I have first hand experience and saw similar improvements in my home.

Any performance improvement is perception only according to Asus. There are small gain differences in the antennas but Asus's submitted documentation on DFS, 5G, and 2G testing all have the same claims that the performance is identical:

1685032486844.png

1685032562280.png

Depending on the SKU, you might get a Qorvo vs Skyworks 2.4G FEM or Broadcom vs Realtek 2.5G PHY (U & Pro). There are other minor variances with the power supplies provided.

Last edited:
Any performance improvement is perception only according to Asus. There are small gain differences in the antennas but Asus's submitted documentation on DFS, 5G, and 2G testing all have the same claims that the performance is identical:
He was talking about his RT-AX88U Pro router (MSQ-RTAX6800) vs. the non-Pro version (MSQ-RTAXHP00).

Note that we're discussing the RT-AX86S, RT-AX86U, and RT-AX86U Pro hardware not the RT-AX88U/RT-AX-88 Pro hardware. There are likely hardware differences between the AX86 series and AX88 series.

Edit to add: And yes the Guest Network Pro/VLANs feature was one of the reasons I decided on the RT-AX86U Pro. As much as I like YazFi with the developer indicating they are no longer actively developing it, I'm looking to alternative methods like Guest Network Pro that will be supported going forward.

Last edited:
I am running the latest beta firmware and have 2 guest networks with vlans. I have all my IoT stuff on one of the guest wifi vlans and have one of the lan ports assigned to the same vlan for my lan attached IoT devices. So far, it is working great.

The second vlan guest network is for actual guests.

I used to have two identical RT-AX86U routers. I used the second one as a backup, and successfully deployed it by restoring a settings backup from the first one, to the second one when the first one died. Despite not checking if the (OEM) firmware versions were identical, the restore worked perfectly.

When one of those RT-AX86U routers died, ASUS replaced it (free) with an RT-AX86U Pro. So now I have one RT-AX86U and one RT-AX86U Pro.

Do you think a settings backup from the RT-AX86U would restore to the RT-AX86U Pro? Or is it a stretch to assume that any settings backup other than from the same router should ever be restored, and further only if the firmware version had not changed after the backup was taken? And in all other cases, one should best manually match the settings using screen shots?

The current firmware version for these two routers is the same number but the file sizes and dates are different. The release notes are identical as well.

ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S)
Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23285
70.86 MB
2023/05/15

ASUS RT-AX86U Pro
Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23285
52.56 MB
2023/05/11

I do have a Guest network setup on the RT-AX86U. I understand the guest network capability of the RT-AX86U Pro is different, but I do not yet understand how. Is that difference enough to say a settings restore from the RT-AX86U to the RT-AX86U Pro is out of the question?

Thank You!

Last edited:
Is that difference enough to say a restore from the RT-AX86U to the RT-AX86U Pro is out of the question?

Related question and my answer to it:

Test and see. You always have the reset option.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!