What's new

RT-AX86U 5GHz performance on Wi-Fi?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tallytr

Manual channel selection, AX (Wi-Fi 6) enabled. Smart Connect.
Same settings as RT-AC86U but of course router set up from scratch...
I see 5GHz performance (coverage) noticeable below that of the RT-AC86U for AC and AX clients (mainly iPhone 6s, 7, 11)
Notebook links with 1.7Gbps and DL and UL speeds are great.
I looked at this for a few days so I am pretty sure what I am seeing is what it is.
Clients in close distance to the router are very OK, good performance, but not when they are in a distance....

Thinking I need to play more with the Smart Connect rules?

In conclusion I would have to say I prefer the RT-AC86U at the moment...
Anybody same observation or just me?

Last edited:
Originally started from a mid-range AC86U (with nice permanent coil whining, btw.) on the way to the expensive top model AX88U in 02-2020, annoyed about the shorter range of the 2.4 G band in general and finally ended again on my old RT-AC86U.

My previous assumption: This is something special that belongs exclusively to the new AX generation of Broadcom SDR SOCs and their type of operating mode in general: higher potential I/O throughput combined with dynamic radio power saving features as new ASIC DNA. Of course, these SOCs have a "shorter range" at the edge compared to the old AC SOC generation. That's the price to pay. For me and some other sufferers there is absolutely no question or whatever about that, see: Wi-Fi Signal Strength RT-AC86U v RT-AX88U Others are all happy together, as their user devices will likely always be close to the mid-range radio range of their AX88u. Two sides of the same coin.

The AX88U uses the same SOC for 5G and also 2G as well as for the GT-AX11000. With 5G, the performance is really good, although the range is mediocre, but of course that applies to 5G band frequencies, but it cannot be the same for the much stronger 2.4G band. 5G SOC on the AX86U is also the same as the AX88 and AX11000, ASUS just used a different one for 2.4G.

If all of this is half the truth, you will likely have to live with it as neither Broadcom nor ASUS will change this as users don't send feedback to them. Their answer would probably be: hey buddy, no problem! Buy yourself some shiny AIMesh nodes. They'll take care of your demand. You see? ;)

Last edited:
Originally started from a mid-range AC86U (with nice permanent coil whining, btw.) on the way to the expensive top model AX88U in 02-2020, annoyed about the shorter range of the 2.4 G band in general and finally ended again on my old RT-AC86U.

My previous assumption: This is something special that belongs exclusively to the new AX generation of Broadcom SDR SOCs and their type of operating mode in general: higher potential I/O throughput combined with dynamic radio power saving features as new ASIC DNA. Of course, these SOCs have a "shorter range" at the edge compared to the old AC SOC generation. That's the price to pay. For me and some other sufferers there is absolutely no question or whatever about that, see: Wi-Fi Signal Strength RT-AC86U v RT-AX88U Others are all happy together, as their user devices will likely always be close to the mid-range radio range of their AX88u. Two sides of the same coin.

The AX88U uses the same SOC for 5G and also 2G as well as for the GT-AX11000. With 5G, the performance is really good, although the range is mediocre, but of course that applies to 5G band frequencies, but it cannot be the same for the much stronger 2.4G band. 5G SOC on the AX86U is also the same as the AX88 and AX11000, ASUS just used a different one for 2.4G.

If all of this is half the truth, you will likely have to live with it as neither Broadcom nor ASUS will change this as users don't send feedback to them. Their answer would probably be: hey buddy, no problem! Buy yourself some shiny AIMesh nodes. They'll take care of your demand. You see? ;)

I am wondering but not sure if this is to push for Mesh systems? I did not like the AiMesh system in the past, maybe AiMesh 2.0 will improve things but with the RT-AC86U I was able to cover our house well with 5GHz...

but with the RT-AC86U I was able to cover our house well with 5GHz...

And that's a fact.
Same for me, at least regarding AC86U 2,4G band :cool: But it doesn't seem to count for upcoming devices.
Ask yourself: so why you should need to buy additional nodes if a (not outdated) AC86U managed that load in the past? Cause Broadcom's 802.11ax (ac) radio implementation requires you to do so. Have to choose what's more worth to you:
  1. best coverage = solid old 802.11N (68U)
  2. good coverage = bang for the buck 802.11AC (86U)
  3. short range = new racehorse 802.11AX (expanding product lineup)

And that's a fact.
Same for me, at least regarding AC86U 2,4G band :cool: But it doesn't seem to count for upcoming devices.
Ask yourself: so why you should need to buy additional nodes if a (not outdated) AC86U managed that load in the past? Cause Broadcom's 802.11ax (ac) radio implementation requires you to do so. Have to choose what's more worth to you:
  1. best coverage = solid old 802.11N (68U)
  2. good coverage = bang for the buck 802.11AC (86U)
  3. short range = new racehorse 802.11AX (expanding product lineup)
68U wasn't close to as good for me....86U is great.
Tend to agree, AX86U is perfect but then who sits with a wireless client 2-4m from the router? We have a house so ideally 5Ghz covers it all...
Now wondering, GT-AX11000 has a wider coverage than 86U? Not sure about it...actually I don't think so...

Now what is the best Asus router for 5Ghz coverage?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!