What's new

RT-AX86U: Adaptive QoS manual bandwidth limiting doesn't work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qbcd

Regular Contributor
I don't know much about QoS, I enabled it try to minimize my bufferbloat. With traditional QoS, whatever bandwidth limits I set get implemented (and bufferbloat improves a little, but not much... it's not that bad to begin with).

But if I enable adaptive QoS and click on "manual setting" and set limits, they are not implemented at all. I run a speedtest after and it maxes out my connection. I'm surprised that the option to limit bandwidth is even there for adaptive QoS, since it's supposed to be... adaptive. But it is there. And doesn't seem to do anything. Is this a bug? Or am I missing something?

Same issue here. Enabling Adaptive and setting my bandwidth limits seems to do nothing on both my AC86U and AX86U. It worked on my AC68U. Since we need to limit our bandwidth for it to really even work it seems that Adaptive QoS is broken.

Same issue here. Enabling Adaptive and setting my bandwidth limits seems to do nothing on both my AC86U and AX86U. It worked on my AC68U. Since we need to limit our bandwidth for it to really even work it seems that Adaptive QoS is broken.

It's kind of amazing that they would leave such a major feature broken on their top tier routers. And if you check "automatic" bandwidth limiting, it doesn't seem to do anything either. The instructions are incorrect too, it says that traditional is supposed to let you manually select priority, but it doesn't, adaptive does.

I think if your goal is to eliminate bufferbloat, all you need to do is limit bandwidth. But for me it doesn't do anything. I'm trying to get an A+ grade from the dslreports.com test for bufferbloat, but I'm only getting an A with or without bandwidth limiting or QoS.

It's kind of amazing that they would leave such a major feature broken on their top tier routers. And if you check "automatic" bandwidth limiting, it doesn't seem to do anything either. The instructions are incorrect too, it says that traditional is supposed to let you manually select priority, but it doesn't, adaptive does.

I think if your goal is to eliminate bufferbloat, all you need to do is limit bandwidth. But for me it doesn't do anything. I'm trying to get an A+ grade from the dslreports.com test for bufferbloat, but I'm only getting an A with or without bandwidth limiting or QoS.

Traditional does let you select priorities manually via user defined rules. It’s not very intuitive and It doesn’t give you categories like Adaptive does. I setup a ton of user defined rules manually for mine that seems to be doing the job.

Set to adaptive I set limits of 330/28.5 and it’ll max my connection to 360/30 and give me an F for bloat not to mention the network slows down to a crawl. Setting it to Traditional with the same limits I get Speedtest results around 325/28 and a bloat rating of A and everything on the network is still functional.

So in traditional I’ve set 2 Apple TV 4K MAC addresses as Highest priority with my 3 computers at high with min bandwidth reserved of 9mbps for all 3 of them that way gaming and the Apple TV’s will always have what they need for streaming and gaming. I also have several gaming consoles but if I’m using one of them I’m not using at least one of the PCs and so I put it’s MAC address in at high too. Then I have file transfers set to low. I haven’t setup any custom rules for any phones or tablets and probably don’t need to. In fact like you’ve said once you limit the bandwidth you pretty much won’t run into any issues. Everyone’s situation will be unique though. I haven’t had any issues the past few days once I set my network up like that.

I noticed the issue after swapping from my AC68U to the AC86U and now the AX86U and just assume they broke the limiter with adaptive in a firmware update somewhere along the way. I’m too lazy to check my 68U to see if it’s affected now or not. It used to work on it before. It used to work on the AC86U when I first got it too. However using adaptive on it I’d consistently lose internet connectivity at random times throughout the day and the router would just stop responding for minutes at a time. Ever since swapping it to traditional I had no issues at all. I think they were trying to fix that issue and then broke the limit function in adaptive as a result.

I have the same issue with my AX86U on 386.1 beta 3, beta 4 and final version as well as stock ASUS firmware.
Reported to Merlin and it is an ASUS bug.

It seems to be limiting Ethernet connections but not the WiFi connections.
Went back to my AC87U as the router only and my new AX86U as the access point.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!