What's new

RT-AX86U AES OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdxxdaemon

New Around Here
Hello,

long time reader, first time poster and a Merlin user for years on my AC87U. I’ve just gotten Internet faster than 1Gbps and the old router is showing it’s age. So I’ve decided to get the RT-AX86U, as it seems to have everything I’m looking for: 2.5Gbps WAN, WiFi 6, gaming port, and as I understand it the ARM equivalent of AES-NI. however while reading this forum I came across a post where Merlin said the AES acceleration was only for IPSec, not OpenVPN. It was here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-announces-rt-ax86u-and-rt-ax82u.64722/page-3 at post 57.

I was curious if the AES acceleration is working for OpenVPN, as I use my router to VPN certain devices a lot. Also, does the gaming port retain its same Features from ASUSwrt in Merlin?

Thanks for indulging me in my first post.

I was curious if the AES acceleration is working for OpenVPN

AES is used for OpenVPN, but you can count on about 170Mbps max speed.

Observation and explanation:

Also, does the gaming port retain its same Features from ASUSwrt in Merlin?

Yes.

Last edited:
There are two separate features on these routers:

• AES-optimized CPU instructions, which will benefit OpenVPN
  • Hardware crypto engine, which will benefit IPSEC

Reactions: fsb
There are two separate features on these routers:

• AES-optimized CPU instructions, which will benefit OpenVPN
  • Hardware crypto engine, which will benefit IPSEC
How do you connect to an IKEv2 or IPSEC VPN? I use NordVPN, and Ive noticed on my Mac and my iPhone and iPad the IKEv2 VPN is substantially (hundreds of megabits per second) faster than either NordLynx (their proprietary Wireguard) or OpenVPN in their app or OpenVPN Connect app.

Is it possible or will it ever be possible to connect to IKEv2 VPNs with this firmware? Thanks.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!