What's new

RT-AX86U and Fiber

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Riptide

Regular Contributor
Hi. I have an RT-AX86U. I am getting gigabit fiber installed. I learned that one of the options is 2 gigabit for only $30 more.

The router has support for accepting this connection on the 2.5GB WAN port. However, the LAN ports seem to only support 1GB.

Is there any way around this if I want more than 1 gigabit speeds on the LAN side? Or am I in it for a whole new router?

Yes I don't 'need' these speeds but I would like to know what my options are. Thanks!

You can search the forums for a USB 2.5GbE adaptor that will give you WAN and LAN 2.5GbE speeds.

I also use 2x QNAP QSW-1105-5T 5-Port Unmanaged 2.5GbE Switches in my own network (1Gbps WAN, 2.5GbE LAN).

Wait so you are saying it's possible to take a USB 2.5GB adapter, plug that into the USB port on the RT-AX86U, and it will feed a device the full 2.5 bandwidth through that connection?

Manual is a bit confusing for a noob like me. It implies the USB 3.2 ports are for hard disks or flash drives that you can then share files over.

Thanks for the link. Reading it. If I understand it so far the idea is to:
1. Take the patch cable from the 2.5GB WAN side, plug it into a USB->Ethernet adapter.
2. Plug the USB->Ethernet adapter into the USB port on the AX86U router.
3. Tell the AX86U to feed internet from the USB port which should have 2.5GB bandwidth at that point.
4. Use the onboard single 2.5GB ethernet port on the AX86U to feed your device or a switch to share it.

That the gist of it? Seems so.

Thanks for the link. Reading it. If I understand it so far the idea is to:
1. Take the patch cable from the 2.5GB WAN side, plug it into a USB->Ethernet adapter.
2. Plug the USB->Ethernet adapter into the USB port on the AX86U router.
3. Tell the AX86U to feed internet from the USB port which should have 2.5GB bandwidth at that point.
4. Use the onboard single 2.5GB ethernet port on the AX86U to feed your device or a switch to share it.

That the gist of it? Seems so.
I need to try this now! Been wondering if there is an easy way to bring everything in my network to 2.5gbe, and this may allow me to do it for around $200 (cost of an unmanaged 8 x 2.5gb switch + USB 3.0 to 2.5gb Ethernet)!

Just read that thread carefully though, as not all USB adaptors are the same. :)

Just read that thread carefully though, as not all USB adaptors are the same. :)
Thanks for the call out! What looks too good to be true often is! Hopefully this can be part of a future firmware update!

What part? It's not the firmware at fault, it is subpar adaptors.