What's new

RT-AX86U as AP : Router or AP mode ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mazzy

New Around Here
Hello,

I've just bought a RT-AX86U to replace my over 5 years old R7000 because I was tired of crap firmwares update and unreliable operation.
I've a pfsense box managing the routing and DHCP duties, so I just need to run the new AX86U like a AP for the my whole house.
I've scored a good black friday deal, so I push up to take it instead of cheaper AX58U. (I don't see reason to evaluate the AX82U with flashing lights and nothing really better that AX58U and not supported by Merlin)
I need stable operation more than squeeze max performance.
I installed it, upgrade to the latest firmware , reset it, and configure it in AP mode.
I see a drastic cut of features available, including some i was expecting to find, like LAN port bonding.

So I'm here to ask suggestion which mode to run it : AP or regular router mode (using a switch port or the WAN port to connect to the home switch ? )
Difference ?

thanks