What's new

RT-AX86u Best 5ghz Control Channel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mogulman

Regular Contributor
Just got an RT-AX86u (latest firmware). No Aimesh. 1GB down/35 GB up Xfinity service. Also moved to a new location about 5 miles from an airport.

For 5ghz, what is the theory on best channel to use. I understand that DFS channels should probably be avoided due to radar issues. Seems like there are less conflicts with other Routers/APs in my neighborhood in the lower range. I selected channel 44. Setting the router to Auto didn't work well. Too much jumping around.

Is there a better range control channel to use in my situation?

'(latest firmware)' doesn't mean much. Please specify.

Nobody can deduce what a better Control Channel may be for your Wi-Fi environment over an international forum.

Simply test each and every Control Channel you have available, keep good notes, use the one with the least undesirable effects for you.

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

OEM firmware 3.0.0.4.386.44130

Not really looking for someone to tell me exactly which control channel is best. Really looking for advice on whether there are certain channels or ranges of channels in the USA nearby an airport, that I should try and avoid. Sort of like the advice around 2.4ghz (1,6,11) advice. Maybe because I won't get 80 or 160mhz channel width because of picking the wrong channel.

If there isn't anything like that, that is fine too.

Did you read the link I provided?

WIFI settings that work for me, regardless of firmware or version:
Use Dual Band SmartConnect, Authentication Method - WPA2-Personal
2.4 GHz @ 20 MHz channel 1, 6 or 11
5 GHz @ 160 MHz channel 36
Professional for both bands disable Airtime Fairness
That's about it! If you don't need WPS disable that.
I use Dual Band smart connect just in case the 5 GHz gets RADAR bounced the clients can pick up on the 2.4 GHz band. Clients will move to the band they like best. I used to use WPA2/WPA3 but recently dropped back to WPA2 because some of my older clients (I have some G WIFI cams yet) had problems at times and I'm using an AC86U as an AiMesh node.

There is no "theory" on best 5 GHz channel. Given your proximity to an airport, don't use DFS channels. I also would not try to use 160 MHz wide channels.

The 2.4 GHz 1/6/11 rule of thumb comes from the spacing of those channels. Here's an oldie that explains

Individual 20 MHz 5 GHz channels are spaced so they don't overlap. But once you start using wider channel widths, your chances of contending for airtime with someone else's network go up by a lot.

Channel 44 is as good as any to start. Keep in mind that usage patterns are dynamic. So finding a "best" channel can be a frustrating exercise.

Last edited:
The 2.4 GHz 1/6/11 rule of thumb comes from the spacing of those channels. Here's an oldie that explains

This is a good theory and is technically right, but only if you control all the APs around. In real life (residential areas, condominiums) it doesn't work. The routers got smarter and push more data through any 2.4GHz channel with more available bandwidth. Temporary Auto setting will reveal what the router sees as best channel available. The one the router uses most of the time is the channel with more available bandwidth, most of the time.

Really looking for advice on whether there are certain channels or ranges of channels in the USA nearby an airport, that I should try and avoid.

Start with channel 36 and 20/40/80MHz. If you see the router keeping 80MHz wide channel, lock it at 80MHz. Same as @thiggins advice - don't use DFS channels and 160MHz wide channel, especially near airports. Lock 2.4GHz on 20MHz wide. Find your best channels and lock the router there. Don't change the channels often and the APs around will adjust. Most work on Auto channel - routers installed by the ISP company technicians.

Can someone define NEAR an airport? We are like 15 miles away from one, and I haven’t tried just in case.

Switch temporary to DFS channels only. Leave the router running for a week. Look at the logs - the router will tell you if radar was detected.
Thanks I’ll give it a shot. I asked that forgetting I’m about 4 miles from air traffic control for my area. I’m guessing I won’t have much luck.

What I mean - there is no near or far. The nearest airport could be 20mi away from your place, but a radar may be placed much closer. It can be air traffic radar, military radar, sat communications, weather station - anything using same frequency band. The channel may stay clear for weeks and all of a sudden make your Wi-Fi miserable. This is why I recommend in general to stay clear from DFS channels. DFS is the "unknown" factor in your Wi-Fi reliability.

What I mean - there is no near or far. The nearest airport could be 20mi away from your place, but a radar may be placed much closer. It can be air traffic radar, military radar, sat communications, weather station - anything using same frequency band. The channel may stay clear for weeks and all of a sudden make your Wi-Fi miserable. This is why I recommend in general to stay clear from DFS channels. DFS is the "unknown" factor in your Wi-Fi reliability.
Sounds like more hassle than it’s worth. The clients that need that much speed have wires.

Sounds like more hassle than it’s worth. The clients that need that much speed have wires.

Well, tell this to folks around who upgrade the router because of a new AX phone coming and use 160Mhz wide channels because of single device with 160MHz support they have. Add 3 factory resets on top for extra fun. Some call it futureproofing. I call it waste of time and money.