What's new

RT-AX86u Beta firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Welcome to the forums @Optimus2357.

Yes, you can revert back. Be sure you download the firmware version you're on now and keep it safely in a local drive along with a saved backup config file of your current configuration (created before you upgrade the firmware).

As a Beta firmware, you'll need to test if it's stable for you.

Are the new features what you want to test? Is there anything wrong with your current setup?

Has anyone tried firmware version 9.0.0.4.388.20477 for the RT-AX86u?

Yes.

The beta for the AX86U/S works very well. There are a couple of minor bugs that do not hinder operation. Just upload it and let it run! No real need to do a factory reset. However, I do recommend using the WIFI defaults.

Welcome to the forums @Optimus2357.

Yes, you can revert back. Be sure you download the firmware version you're on now and keep it safely in a local drive along with a saved backup config file of your current configuration (created before you upgrade the firmware).

As a Beta firmware, you'll need to test if it's stable for you.

Are the new features what you want to test? Is there anything wrong with your current setup?
Thank you for the feed back. No problems now, and that's the way I would like to keep it. I will update during downtime tonight and report back any issues.

Thank you for the feed back. No problems now, and that's the way I would like to keep it. I will update during downtime tonight and report back any issues.

Then I would wait for the release due any minute. Installing a new ASUSWRT release is always a vetting process and will be more so with the new 388 firmware... why do this today and then do it all over again tomorrow unless you and your users want to spend time playing with your network.

OE

I will update during downtime tonight

I was about to test some things on this 388 beta firmware, but the same firmware version for similar hardware AX88U router was released as stable and then fixed quickly with another stable release. 388 for AX86U is still in beta and obviously Asus is fixing something on it. I'm waiting for stable 388 release.

Read the beta thread. If you have wifi 6 clients, the 160 MHz functionality is a mess for most people. The router won’t hold 160MHz and will step down to 80MHz and not go back up.

Some claim this is normal and the previous functionality in this and other routers is what was broken, but it’s not the case. There was a bug introduced a couple of versions back and unless and until it’s fixed, you can either stay on the Jan release as I am, or you’re essentially limited to 80MHz and wifi 5 speeds.

Read the beta thread. If you have wifi 6 clients, the 160 MHz functionality is a mess for most people. The router won’t hold 160MHz and will step down to 80MHz and not go back up.

Some claim this is normal and the previous functionality in this and other routers is what was broken, but it’s not the case. There was a bug introduced a couple of versions back and unless and until it’s fixed, you can either stay on the Jan release as I am, or you’re essentially limited to 80MHz and wifi 5 speeds.
When i set my control channel at 48 everything stays at 160MHz. Otherwise it constantly drops back to 80. Think i read that info in a thread here.

When i set my control channel at 48

The problem is - your control channel 48 is in your environment. This is not a universal solution.

Has anyone tried firmware version 9.0.0.4.388.20477 for the RT-AX86u? I want to try the new features but nervous about trying a beta firmware. Is it stable? Can you revert? Thanks.
Working great for me for 31 days, no reboots in my setup so very happy with this beta firmware....
160MHz also no issues at all for me, simply depends so much on your individual configuration...

This works for me:
1664128508260.png

The problem is - your control channel 48 is in your environment. This is not a universal solution.
understood, and i wish i could find the thread again. It seemed 48 was a good channel for most, but overall just setting a channel. Leaving it on auto was a issue of dropping back to 80 nonstop and not going back

Working great for me for 31 days, no reboots in my setup so very happy with this beta firmware....
160MHz also no issues at all for me, simply depends so much on your individual configuration...

This works for me:
View attachment 44405
I use the same settings and it works. Switches from 80 to 160 MHz and back as clients connect or disconnect. Have tried prior firmware and Merlin but come back to this beta!

I use the same settings and it works. Switches from 80 to 160 MHz and back as clients connect or disconnect. Have tried prior firmware and Merlin but come back to this beta!
Glad it’s working for you. Not sure why it works for some but not for others.

I have not been able to get that behavior since 386_46061 which is where I’m staying for now or possibly forever. My AX88U worked fine with the stock firmware, but have not been able to get the AX86U to work past that firmware version.

I read an article that said when using 160 MHz you should set the channel to 36 as this way you use the entire 36-64 block.

I read an article that said when using 160 MHz you should set the channel to 36 as this way you use the entire 36-64 block.
True sort of. My router right now set itself to channel 52 and is using the 36-64 block

I understand 160MHz bandwidth uses channels/frequencies 36-64 and you can set any of those channels to be the control channel, but I would only set a non-DFS control channel 36-48 for compatibility with all possible clients and their max bandwidths up to 160MHz.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!