What's new

RT-AX86U - confusing results for wireless speed tests

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bibigon88

New Around Here
Hello,

I have RT-AX86U router with installed latest Merlin firmware on it 386.5_2. I have a channel with 1.2 Gb/s download and upload 40 Mb/s from Xfinity. When I do a wireless speed test on my Mac M1 pro using test from router ("Adaptive QOS" > "Internet Speed") then I see download speed as expected around 1 Gb/s, but when I use external apps such as "Speedtest from OOKLA" or "Speedtest from Xfinity" to the same server then I see around a half of expected speed. I'm not sure which results are correct.
Adaptive QOS and Traffic Analyzer settings are disabled.

Attachments

• 2022-04-20_17-26-20.png
    2022-04-20_17-26-20.png
    192.9 KB · Views: 272
  • 2022-04-20_17-27-01.png
    2022-04-20_17-27-01.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 236
When I do a wireless speed test on my Mac M1 pro using test from router ("Adaptive QOS" > "Internet Speed") ...
That is not a wireless speed test and the test is not running on the M1, it's running on the router itself.

... but when I use external apps such as "Speedtest from OOKLA" or "Speedtest from Xfinity" to the same server then I see around a half of expected speed.
Check the WiFi link speed of the M1. Perform another speed test on a different PC that is connected to the router by Ethernet.

That is not a wireless speed test and the test is not running on the M1, it's running on the router itself.

Check the WiFi link speed of the M1. Perform another speed test on a different PC that is connected to the router by Ethernet.
Thanks! Got it!

With the RT-AX86 you only have one 2.5G wired connection. The other will be 1G wired.
From a wired PC you will see about 940Mb download.

Depending on the wireless chipset used the speed will differ. 360Mbps on my old laptop (AC), 500-600 on an old iPad (AC), and 1000-1100 on a new laptop with an AX210 wireless chipset on a 160Mhz channel about 6 ft from the router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!