What's new

RT-AX86U DDNS Keeps Failing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChitlinNoodleSoup

Occasional Visitor
This just started happening in the last 24 hours so I doubt it has anything to do with firmware but it is Merlin V386.7_2

A few times a day my asuscomm.com DDNS will quit working. To get it working again all I have to do is go into the router settings for DDNS and click 'apply'. I get a warning that no settings have changed but I click through and it goes back to working. It always shows as successfully registered and active when it fails so I have no idea why it's failing but it does affect a few services that I run so I would like to find out why it's failing.

A few times a day my asuscomm.com DDNS will quit working.
What do you mean by "quit working"?

Are you saying that the internet's DNS servers (google, cloudflare, etc.) return NXDOMAIN for your DDNS name?

After you update DDNS on your router has the public IP address changed?

What do you mean by "quit working"?

Are you saying that the internet's DNS servers (google, cloudflare, etc.) return NXDOMAIN for your DDNS name?

After you update DDNS on your router has the public IP address changed?
I use Uptime Kuma to monitor the DDNS. I'll get a notification that DDNS is down and I will immediately attempt to access a service behind DDNS. As an example, Plex at mydns.asuscomm.com:32400. It will fail. I reapply the DDNS settings (with no changes) and I can then access Plex at that address.

The public IP does not change. In fact, my public IP only changes if I lose power to the ONT for an extended period of time.

I'm not familiar with Uptime Kuma. Sounds like an asuscomm.com issue. What error message are you receiving (NXDOMAIN, SERVFAIL, etc.)?

I'm not familiar with Uptime Kuma. Sounds like an asuscomm.com issue. What error message are you receiving (NXDOMAIN, SERVFAIL, etc.)?
Uptime Kuma is just monitoring software. I have it watch the DDNS address. When it doesn't return a response I get a Pushover notification. When I check the address in a web browser I just get an "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED" message.

Curious what year your router was manufactured. From other threads, senior members of this forum have stated those made during the first few years of production (2017-19) have hardware issues. Thanks

Curious what year your router was manufactured. From other threads, senior members of this forum have stated those made during the first few years of production (2017-19) have hardware issues. Thanks
You appear to have posted in the wrong thread as your question has nothing to do with this one.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!