What's new

RT-AX86U DNS Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ydnaroo

Regular Contributor
A device on my network needs access to epdg.epc.mnc030.mcc234.pub.3gppnetwork.org but it doesn't work.

When I put the URL in a public resolver such as nslookup.io I get a good response.

When I use the nslookup in the Network tools screen I get a positive response.

Screenshot 2021-05-28 132558.jpg

When I do a nslookup from a Win 10 laptop on the network I get the following:

Default Server: RT-AX86U-2C88.homelan
Address: 192.168.50.1

> epdg.epc.mnc030.mcc234.pub.3gppnetwork.org
Server: RT-AX86U-2C88.homelan
Address: 192.168.50.1

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to RT-AX86U-2C88.homelan timed-out

I've tried from two different computers and get the same. Can anyone help with why is this happening? (Solving this is what gave rise to my VPN query already posted.)

Last edited:
Does it work if you query 9.9.9.9 directly rather than using your router's DNS server?

Does it work if you query 9.9.9.9 directly rather than using your router's DNS server?
Yep, thanks for the idea.
>nslookup epdg.epc.mnc030.mcc234.pub.3gppnetwork.org 9.9.9.9
Server: dns9.quad9.net
Address: 9.9.9.9

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: epdg.epc.mnc030.mcc234.pub.3gppnetwork.org
Addresses: 109.249.186.72

Work like a charm on my laptop via router with Stubby 1.1.1.1 DNS server configured:
Code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>nslookup.exe epdg.epc.mnc030.mcc234.pub.3gppnetwork.org
Server:  RT-AX88U.DREAM
Address:  192.168.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    epdg.epc.mnc030.mcc234.pub.3gppnetwork.org
Addresses:  109.249.190.48
There must be something on your PCs: Antivirus blocking this server address?

Last edited:
What are your DNS settings?

Are you using DoT? I seemed to think if you used the nslookup on the router (GUI or nslookup in an SSH session) is used the DNS server 1/2 settings and not the DoT setings if set.

Does your phone actually connect to WiFi calling OK? (As that domain is for EE/BT WiFi calling).

What are your DNS settings?

Are you using DoT? I seemed to think if you used the nslookup on the router (GUI or nslookup in an SSH session) is used the DNS server 1/2 settings and not the DoT setings if set.

Does your phone actually connect to WiFi calling OK? (As that domain is for EE/BT WiFi calling).
No DoT. just a basic setting at this stage. I was using my ISPs default servers initially but changed to Quad9 to to see if it resolved the problem. I get the problem on a wired PC and a 5G connected laptop and I've since installed an nslookup app on the Android phone that needs this access and it also times out when testing to the router DNS but not direct to various public DNS services.

Missed that part. No, it doesn't connect to WiFi calling, that's the issue I'm chasing. It worked with my old RT-AC68U and with the BT Smart Hub 2 I used for a short while. The WiFi connection to the phone works fine otherwise.

I suspect this is a VPN client DNS issue. Do you have policy based routing enabled in your VPN client? If so disable it and then turn off the VPN client completely.

Thanks all for your replies. I've just done a full reset of the router and things are working again. I've only had the router a week and have been messing about in the interface trying things so this will have been the problem. I've got a better idea of the setup I want now so I'll build it up slowly over the coming days.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!