What's new

RT-AX86U full download speed, slow upload, speed test from router normal

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andsoitgoes

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

I have a slightly odd configuration that I know can cause some issues, but this particular issue seems... odd and nonsensical.

I currently have the following setup:

Shaw BlueCurve Modem (XB7 - https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/equipment-info-fibre-gateway-2-0-xb7/ta-p/29898) ----> Asus RT-AX86U (within XB7 DMZ) ----> Gigabit Switch ----> Wifi Extenders

When I do a speed test from the Asus router, I get full upload/download speeds just as I get when I connect my computer directly to the modem itself. When I connect my computer to the router or any of the hops in between, my download speed still stays solid, however my upload speed drops DRAMATICALLY to no more than 20Mbps.

I have disabled QoS. I have looked through similar posts to check the settings and nothing makes sense. Hell, right now through speedof.me, I'm getting 715Mbps down and a paltry 2.82Mbps up.

I've tried enabling IPv6 just in case that could be an issue, all enabling it did in native mode was decrease my download speed dramatically.

I just am lost. Again, the Asus router when doing a speed test FROM that device gets the fully advertised speeds.

Anything connected TO that device, however, sees a massive, massive drop.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,

I have a slightly odd configuration that I know can cause some issues, but this particular issue seems... odd and nonsensical.

I currently have the following setup:

Shaw BlueCurve Modem (XB7 - https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/equipment-info-fibre-gateway-2-0-xb7/ta-p/29898) ----> Asus RT-AX86U (within XB7 DMZ) ----> Gigabit Switch ----> Wifi Extenders

When I do a speed test from the Asus router, I get full upload/download speeds just as I get when I connect my computer directly to the modem itself. When I connect my computer to the router or any of the hops in between, my download speed still stays solid, however my upload speed drops DRAMATICALLY to no more than 20Mbps.

I have disabled QoS. I have looked through similar posts to check the settings and nothing makes sense. Hell, right now through speedof.me, I'm getting 715Mbps down and a paltry 2.82Mbps up.

I've tried enabling IPv6 just in case that could be an issue, all enabling it did in native mode was decrease my download speed dramatically.

I just am lost. Again, the Asus router when doing a speed test FROM that device gets the fully advertised speeds.

Anything connected TO that device, however, sees a massive, massive drop.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.
By any chance do you have Jumbo Frames enabled?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!