RT-AX86U Initial Setup Recommendations

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Con

New Around Here
My new RT-AX86U should arrive this week. I am looking for any recommendations as to initial setup for best operation. I have read that I should disable both Airtime Fairness and Beamforming. Any other suggestions that you folks that have had an RT-AX86U for sometime would be appreciated. Also wondering what the consensus is regarding updating to the latest Asus firmware.

John Fitzgerald

My new RT-AX86U should arrive this week. I am looking for any recommendations as to initial setup for best operation. I have read that I should disable both Airtime Fairness and Beamforming. Any other suggestions that you folks that have had an RT-AX86U for sometime would be appreciated. Also wondering what the consensus is regarding updating to the latest Asus firmware.

Mine shipped with 384 code. I loaded newest "stock" 386 and did the minimum setup. It was very speedy. After it ran for a little while I loaded Merlin but things did not go smoothly and internet pages weren't loading, despite doing a "factory reset". Apparently, I didn't let it update long enough (386 code jump takes some time to update internal code base but should not take most of the day). I don't know what my issue was.

I ended up going back to stock (which ran well) before going to bed. When I reloaded Merlin in the morning, followed by a second attempt "GUI Factory Reset" with the box next to it checked and the JFFS reset box also checked (hit apply on the bottom of Page) everything went smoothly.

I expected the 384 - 386 switch to take less time.

My modem also required a power off (pull plug) so it would reset.

Airtime Fainess = off
Universal Beamforming = off

Explicit Beamforming = on (others will say different but my ROKU gets a much faster connection with it on)

Make sure to get all your downloads in advance, including the rescue software off the ASUS site.

Newer "rescue software" here:

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
Pretty much agree with John.
I use Dual Band Smart Connect
2.4 GHz @ 20 MHz on channel 1, 6 or 11
5 GHz @ 160 MHz on channel 36*
WPA2/WPA3
I use Guest 1 2.4 GHz for my few IoT devices I want to keep away from my LAN devices.

I also use AiProtection and Asus QOS with manual settings

If you decided to use Asus Firmware the Version 3.0.0.4.386.42095 works very well.
I do recommend the Merlin firmware for the added features especially DNSSEC and DoT.

* I use channel 36 @ 160 MHZ as this gives eight consecutive 20 MHz channels for AX clients while allowing older clients that do not like DFS channels to still conect.

Con

New Around Here
Thank you very much John Fitzgerald and bbunge for your clear and helpful replies. Having such a wealth of knowledge on this site makes it so much easier for those of us getting new equipment. Certainly avoids a lot of trial, error and frustration. Thank you again for your time and help.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture

Con

New Around Here
I currently have Comcast 800Mbps and am considering going to the gigabit option. I will be connecting the RT-AX86U to an Arris S33 that also has a 2.5 GB port. To achieve the full 1.2Gb download speed would I need to go from the modem and connect to the WAN port on the router and then from the 2.5GB on the router to a 2.5 GB adapter plugged into my computer? Thanks for any suggestions/instructions.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
No, you will not be able to have a 2.5GbE LAN and 2.5GbE WAN with a single 2.5GbE port.

In your situation, I would use the 2.5GbE Port on the router to connect to the computer (or ideally, a 2.5GbE switch, for the rest of the devices too).

'Losing' 0.2 Gbps on the ISP side isn't anything I would worry about.

There is virtually nothing on the internet that will sustain that kind of performance (routed) for any real use load.