What's new

RT-AX86U LAN seems to drop connection?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

X_Pilot97

New Around Here
Hey all!

I recently bought the RT-AX86U, but I've been having issues with the LAN connection. It seems like my upload connection drops randomly, or my download connection drops. I'm not too well versed in networks, so all I know is when playing games I randomly start glitching about or lose the ability to move, but can still see others playing, and other times I can hear my friends talking, but my audio doesn't get sent to them. Both issues usually happen at the same time (If I'm playing a multiplayer game and am on Discord at the same time),

I've tried changing my QoS settings (tried off, adaptive and traditional), I've tried monitoring my logs, monitoring my PC's connection (It just randomly drops to near 0 kbps) and resetting my router.

Is there anything else I can try? Any tool I can use to investigate it? I don't think there's a pattern to the connection drops. Is there potentially already a fix for this?

Thanks!

From your description it sounds like your online games are running on overcrowded gaming servers or being manipulated by cheaters or gaming bots. My AX86U connection works perfectly but once in a while I experience the same issues but everyone else on that game usually has the same problems. If your other friends are complaining of the same thing then that is not related to your router.

If you suspect the issues are specifically related to your connection and not happening to other players I would contact your ISP's tech support and see if they can run tests detect connection drops from their equipment to your router. Also make sure your modem and router are plugged into a reliable power source... power surge protector strip, etc..

From your description it sounds like your online games are running on overcrowded gaming servers or being manipulated by cheaters or gaming bots. My AX86U connection works perfectly but once in a while I experience the same issues but everyone else on that game usually has the same problems. If your other friends are complaining of the same thing then that is not related to your router.

If you suspect the issues are specifically related to your connection and not happening to other players I would contact your ISP's tech support and see if they can run tests detect connection drops from their equipment to your router. Also make sure your modem and router are plugged into a reliable power source... power surge protector strip, etc..
Most of the time it's just an issue with my connection. I'll contact my ISP's tech support tomorrow though.

Thank you :)

You're welcome. Let us know what your ISP tech support says. It sounds like an internet issue and not a router issue but if you still suspect you need help with the router just post back again. There might be settings that can be adjusted and tests run to determine if there is a problem there. There are even configuration settings in the Asus gaming routers (like the AX86U) to improve the efficiency with less "hops" going to the online gaming servers that you are using but I never have had enough problems with my online gaming so I have never used those settings.

Of course you can always use a computer or tablet and go to... ... and get a general test of your internet connection and throughput but again if you do have problems it doesn't necessarily mean that it's related to the router... and the online server tests can't predict glitching during online gaming that usually is the result of connections to the online gaming server. You can post your speedtest connection results along with your what speeds your expected to get from your ISP if you want more feedback from other users in this forum.

Last edited:
Most of the time it's just an issue with my connection. I'll contact my ISP's tech support tomorrow though.

Thank you :)

I just upgraded from RT-N66U to the same router as you.

Do you have the latest Merlin firmware? if not I would recommend it, you can download it here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/

If you follow this guide https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421 to do the firmware, and enable optimal router settings, it seems daunting, but it's not if you follow it through step by step.

Having tried all the QOS options last couple of weeks, I have settled on CakeQOS https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cakeqos-merlin.64800/ , it's a set and forget job. You can install it through AMTM, which is actually already part of Merlin Firmware on this router.

You just connect to your router via putty (SSH) and type in AMTM in the console then you can install Cake QOS easy, you just set your upload and download, then enter "docsis ack-filter" in the other two boxes when prompted (this is assuming you are on cable)

I was lagging around using adaptive and flexqos, since i've put cakeQOS on, no problems. I would also recommend getting new good quality Cat 7 Network cables and patch leads.

My network seems to be stable, secure and fast now.

Good Luck

You're welcome. Let us know what your ISP tech support says. It sounds like an internet issue and not a router issue but if you still suspect you need help with the router just post back again. There might be settings that can be adjusted and tests run to determine if there is a problem there. There are even configuration settings in the Asus gaming routers (like the AX86U) to improve the efficiency with less "hops" going to the online gaming servers that you are using but I never have had enough problems with my online gaming so I have never used those settings.

Of course you can always use a computer or tablet and go to... ... and get a general test of your internet connection and throughput but again if you do have problems it doesn't necessarily mean that it's related to the router... and the online server tests can't predict glitching during online gaming that usually is the result of connections to the online gaming server. You can post your speedtest connection results along with your what speeds your expected to get from your ISP if you want more feedback from other users in this forum.
Their support just said to monitor it but they've logged a fault now. Was a pretty useless conversation to be entirely honest xD

I just upgraded from RT-N66U to the same router as you.

Do you have the latest Merlin firmware? if not I would recommend it, you can download it here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/

If you follow this guide https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421 to do the firmware, and enable optimal router settings, it seems daunting, but it's not if you follow it through step by step.

Having tried all the QOS options last couple of weeks, I have settled on CakeQOS https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cakeqos-merlin.64800/ , it's a set and forget job. You can install it through AMTM, which is actually already part of Merlin Firmware on this router.

You just connect to your router via putty (SSH) and type in AMTM in the console then you can install Cake QOS easy, you just set your upload and download, then enter "docsis ack-filter" in the other two boxes when prompted (this is assuming you are on cable)

I was lagging around using adaptive and flexqos, since i've put cakeQOS on, no problems. I would also recommend getting new good quality Cat 7 Network cables and patch leads.

My network seems to be stable, secure and fast now.

Good Luck
oooh even installing merlin seems daunting to me haha. I'll see if I can give it a shot after work.

oooh even installing merlin seems daunting to me haha. I'll see if I can give it a shot after work.
Merlin's easy, download it. Extract to desktop, point the router to the file under syterm updates, install, reboot. :) Any problems just ask on here.

i am having this same issue, I play warzone and i get high ping and get disconnected. the ps4 is connected by ethernet and on port 1, ever since the firmware update it has been doing this

i am having this same issue, I play warzone and i get high ping and get disconnected. the ps4 is connected by ethernet and on port 1, ever since the firmware update it has been doing this
I have been playing multiplayer COD on a PS5 connected via Wifi 6 on a AX86U. It worked fine before the latest firmware update and it has been working great since after the firmware update. In other words there was no noticeable difference before or afterwards. The devices connected via the Ethernet ports all seem to work fine as they did before the firmware updates.

I can confirm there have been updates to COD and to the PS5 itself that have caused slowdown and/or glitches that were fixed in later updates but these had nothing to do with the AX86U. The speed tests including ping that I run all show the same results via wireless or wired. I am not saying there couldn't have been a problem with your AX86U after the latest firmware update. I just haven't noticed it so far on my equipment.

Last edited:
Their support just said to monitor it but they've logged a fault now. Was a pretty useless conversation to be entirely honest xD
Logged a fault? What kind of fault? I'm not sure who your ISP is (it's ok you don't have to say) but that doesn't sound encouraging. What are you getting for your online www.speedtest.net results? I did read that last year some ISPs were throttling customer's service due to bandwidth overload on their networks.

I would note that I had an issue at another location the other day where I was having an abnormally slow internet connection with high ping rates and I had to power cycle the ISP modem to get normal speeds back. Meanwhile you could try Asus support and see if they can verify any related issues with the latest official Asus firmware update. It has also been mentioned that there is Merlin firmware available and he usually is aware of issues that pop up with the official firmware releases.

Last edited:
Hey all!

I recently bought the RT-AX86U, but I've been having issues with the LAN connection. It seems like my upload connection drops randomly, or my download connection drops. I'm not too well versed in networks, so all I know is when playing games I randomly start glitching about or lose the ability to move, but can still see others playing, and other times I can hear my friends talking, but my audio doesn't get sent to them. Both issues usually happen at the same time (If I'm playing a multiplayer game and am on Discord at the same time),

I've tried changing my QoS settings (tried off, adaptive and traditional), I've tried monitoring my logs, monitoring my PC's connection (It just randomly drops to near 0 kbps) and resetting my router.

Is there anything else I can try? Any tool I can use to investigate it? I don't think there's a pattern to the connection drops. Is there potentially already a fix for this?

Thanks!
Also have you tried using the NAT port forwarding tool for whichever game you are playing? I am not saying it will help, but it may do.

Hey guys! Thanks for all the responses!

So I've contacted my ISP again. I've plugged in the old router from my ISP (Which is BT in the UK) as they said that is the only way they can monitor the actual connection to the internet.

Going to do another factory reset and contact Asus to see if they can assist me a bit more.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!