What's new

RT-AX86U - merlin: vlanctl throws unexpected errors

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IgorZ

New Around Here
I was trying to setup a proper VLAN layout that would match my former network topology (ERX's + Ubiquity APs). I spent 3 full days reading though dozens of threads on this forum only to conclude: there is something REALLY NOT RIGHT about the `vlanctl` tool on my router. It's running the latest Merlin stable version (386.5_2). Yet, this tool throws errors in the cases that the other people on this forum suggest to use.

To name a few...

Bash:
vlanctl --rule-dump-all
No output. My router indeed have some rule. Including something that I've added right before running this command.

Bash:
vlanctl --if eth0 --rx --tags 0 --show-table
Throws an error no matter to what `if` or `tags` parameter value is set:
[ERROR vlanctl] vlanCtl_dumpRuleTable, 596: Invalid argument
There are more commands that don't pass through, even though there are posts on the forum about such the commands. I'm not posting all of them here since I feel there is something I miss in the root.

The real questions is: WHAT do I miss? Why are these commands run fine for the AC-86U router owners, but not for me (AX-86U owner)?

Moreover, in my device's syslog I discovered messages like:
Jun 5 22:54:34 kernel: ^[[0;33;41m[ERROR vlan] bcmVlan_dumpTagRules,2885: Real Device eth01--tx has no VLAN Interfaces
Jun 5 22:54:34 kernel: ^[[0;33;41m[ERROR vlan] vlanIoctl ,862: Failed to dump Rule Table from eth01--tx (tags=0, dir=-1)
Which implies the dump command is possible on my device. Just not from an SSH session in a form I'm trying to execute it.

A quick background on why do I need this tool to work. I'm trying to understand how is my system setup. I need it to properly adjust it to my needs. I've already tried NVRAM export tool. It's helpful, but doesn't give the answers I'm looking for.

I was trying to setup a proper VLAN layout that would match my former network topology (ERX's + Ubiquity APs). I spent 3 full days reading though dozens of threads on this forum only to conclude: there is something REALLY NOT RIGHT about the `vlanctl` tool on my router. It's running the latest Merlin stable version (386.5_2). Yet, this tool throws errors in the cases that the other people on this forum suggest to use.

To name a few...

Bash:
vlanctl --rule-dump-all
No output. My router indeed have some rule. Including something that I've added right before running this command.

Bash:
vlanctl --if eth0 --rx --tags 0 --show-table
Throws an error no matter to what `if` or `tags` parameter value is set:

There are more commands that don't pass through, even though there are posts on the forum about such the commands. I'm not posting all of them here since I feel there is something I miss in the root.

The real questions is: WHAT do I miss? Why are these commands run fine for the AC-86U router owners, but not for me (AX-86U owner)?

Moreover, in my device's syslog I discovered messages like:

Which implies the dump command is possible on my device. Just not from an SSH session in a form I'm trying to execute it.

A quick background on why do I need this tool to work. I'm trying to understand how is my system setup. I need it to properly adjust it to my needs. I've already tried NVRAM export tool. It's helpful, but doesn't give the answers I'm looking for.
Are you sure you didn't use "ip link" to create your VLANs?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!