What's new

RT-AX86U New firmware messed up my 2.5g port.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

B

BOBDOBBS

I'm new to Asus routers. I used to use Linksys, but bought an RT-AX86U.

I've had the RT-AX86U router for over 4 months now AND it's been solid with stable connections and speed.

Here's my setup:

RT-AC87U connected to the ONT Ethernet (landlord's router... it will be updated to a RT-AX86U tomorrow)

My PC / Windows 10 64bit Gigabyte Z490 board with a Realtek Gamining 2.5GbE port (updated driver).

CAT6a cable connected from my PC to the RT-AX86U 2.5g port. The RT-AX86U then connects to the RT-AC87U router wireless (is this called a bridge?).

I was able to connect to the net fine this way. Yesterday, I saw a new firmware for the RT-AX86U. So I updated that via the Asus router GUI. It updated HOWEVER, there is no more internet connection via the 2.5g port. I spent hours trying to fix this to no avail. Finally, I was able to connect via the normal LAN ports.

After hours of trying, resets and cable juggling, (I even tried Asus support to no avail), I decided to reach out.

Maybe I need to revert back to the previous firmware to fix this, but maybe someone knows some steps I should take to get the 2.5g port to work as a LAN port. It's a WAN/LAN combo port BUT I cannot find any info in the manual or even online/google on how to switch this port to LAN only (maybe it auto detects?). Previously, when it did work before the firmware debacle, it was set as MEDIA BRIDGE in the Administration tab in the GUI. It's been a frustrating experience to be honest, but I'm stubborn and want to learn more and set this right. Any expert suggestions how to get the 2.5g port to work like before?

Thanks for your time!

I'm new to Asus routers. I used to use Linksys, but bought an RT-AX86U.

I've had the RT-AX86U router for over 4 months now AND it's been solid with stable connections and speed.

Here's my setup:

RT-AC87U connected to the ONT Ethernet (landlord's router... it will be updated to a RT-AX86U tomorrow)

My PC / Windows 10 64bit Gigabyte Z490 board with a Realtek Gamining 2.5GbE port (updated driver).

CAT6a cable connected from my PC to the RT-AX86U 2.5g port. The RT-AX86U then connects to the RT-AC87U router wireless (is this called a bridge?).

I was able to connect to the net fine this way. Yesterday, I saw a new firmware for the RT-AX86U. So I updated that via the Asus router GUI. It updated HOWEVER, there is no more internet connection via the 2.5g port. I spent hours trying to fix this to no avail. Finally, I was able to connect via the normal LAN ports.

After hours of trying, resets and cable juggling, (I even tried Asus support to no avail), I decided to reach out.

Maybe I need to revert back to the previous firmware to fix this, but maybe someone knows some steps I should take to get the 2.5g port to work as a LAN port. It's a WAN/LAN combo port BUT I cannot find any info in the manual or even online/google on how to switch this port to LAN only (maybe it auto detects?). Previously, when it did work before the firmware debacle, it was set as MEDIA BRIDGE in the Administration tab in the GUI. It's been a frustrating experience to be honest, but I'm stubborn and want to learn more and set this right. Any expert suggestions how to get the 2.5g port to work like before?

Thanks for your time!
Welcome @BOBDOBBS to the SNB Asus user forums. I'm not sure if there is an issue for the 2.5Gb Ethernet port with the new firmware. I haven't had any problems after the latest firmware update with it custom configured for Dual WAN fail over.

How to configure the 2.5Gb port in the Asus firmware:

Located on the left side of the screen... Click on the WAN tab > Dual WAN tab (near the top) > Under Basic config see... Primary WAN/LAN and Secondary WAN/LAN settings... where you can customize those for LAN/WAN/2.5Gb ports.

... and for selecting one primary internet connection port type... click on WAN tab > Internet Connection tab > WAN type .

Click on the APPLY button at the bottom of the configuration screen to finalize making changes to your settings.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if there is an issue for the 2.5Gb Ethernet port with the new firmware. I haven't had any problems after the latest firmware update with it custom configured for Dual WAN fail over.

How to configure the 2.5Gb port in the Asus firmware:

Located on the left side of the screen... Click on the WAN tab > Dual WAN tab (near the top) > Under Basic config see... Primary WAN and Secondary WAN settings... where you can customize those for LAN/WAN/2.5Gb ports.

Thank you! I have seen that setting and was not sure about it so I left it alone. I cannot remember how I got it to work the first time, but I will try your suggestion when I get home tonight and report on my results. I appreciate the answer.

Thank you! I have seen that setting and was not sure about it so I left it alone. I cannot remember how I got it to work the first time, but I will try your suggestion when I get home tonight and report on my results. I appreciate the answer.
Also, the manual, well for me, is not too clear about that setting or maybe I just glossed over it. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome. The Asus routers and their numerous configuration options take a while to get used to but over time you will appreciate the flexibility. I also added information in my post about changing the internet connection WAN port coming from your modem... for 2.5Gb or the regular 1Gb Ethernet WAN port. Update us on how it works out.

Last edited:
You're welcome. The Asus routers and their numerous configuration options take a while to get used to but over time you will appreciate the flexibility. I also added information in my post about changing the internet connection WAN port coming from your modem... for 2.5Gb or the regular 1Gb Ethernet WAN port. Update us on how it works out.
Thank you again and will do! I do like the Asus config GUI so far, but you are right, it does take a bit to get used to. I plan on that. Will post an update later.

I tried the suggestion above, but it did not workout. After an hour of tinkering with settings, re updating drivers and re boots, I downgraded the Asus router firmware for now. It works fine at the moment. When I did try your suggestion, the regular LAN ports worked fine, but the 2.5g one did not. I did receive errors from troubleshooting in Windows 10 Networking. The error was " Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration ". Ipconfig commands worked up until ipconfig /renew. With that, I received a " An error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out. " error. I am starting to think it might be the Realtek 2.5g port on my motherboard. I recently updated the driver, but from Realtek directly, not Gigabyte. So, currently the downgraded Asus firmware works with the Realtek latest driver. The newest Asus firmware does not seem to work with the latest Realtek driver, at least in my case. Just speculating. Anyways, I will work on this tomorrow with this and try to figure it out.

"but maybe someone knows some steps I should take to get the 2.5g port to work as a LAN port. It's a WAN/LAN combo port BUT I cannot find any info in the manual or even online/google on how to switch this port to LAN only (maybe it auto detects?)."

@BOBDOBBS , Just to clarify that my original post response was simply to how to access the 2.5Gb WAN/LAN port configuration in the Asus settings and not to necessarily provide an answer or fix to the issues you are experiencing.

I did read your original post again and your follow up post after you tried to change the settings. The error that the "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration" does seem to be related to that 2.5Gb port not being properly configured in the settings... in other words it could show an error if that port was configured as a WAN and not a LAN port or it could be some other error such as a change in the IP address or IP address range that makes that port no longer recognized.

There are a few things to note about your setup. We don't know what your starting IP address range and scheme was before and after you upgraded your router to the RT-AX86U. IP addresses and other connection information relating to your router becomes stored in the devices and if any changes are made to the router you actually need to have those devices turned off or rebooted before they can work properly. This can be needed after major configuration changes such as changes to the function of the 2.5Gb port and this can be needed after firmware upgrades where previous information is retained.

This is also why many users choose to do a hard reset of their Asus router after upgrading the router firmware. However I usually don't need to reset my router an normally don't have problems but many Asus users do that just to avoid these issues. You also might want to power cycle your devices connected to your router after upgrading your firmware.

"The RT-AX86U then connects to the RT-AC87U router wireless (is this called a bridge?)".... Technically this is not a network bridge unless you specifically configured the Asus router in it's settings to be a bridge. Therefore this is a "double NAT" configuration.

You have a lot going on with your network topology... connecting to other routers, the landlord's ONT, etc.. that confuses making a remote analysis of your port issues. It could very well be that the firmware upgrade generated some kind of incompatibility between the 2.5Gb ports that could only be solved reverting back to the old firmware. It could also be that the router needed to be hard reset after the upgrade and the device with the Realtek 2.5Gb port needed to be power cycled.

You can provide updates and post more information here. For easier reference... since firmware's can change week to week and month to month post the Asus firmware that you are now using that works and then note the new firmware that didn't work for you.

....Hopefully other forum members also have other ideas and more information on whether changes in the latest firmware may have caused these issues with your 2.5Gb Ethernet connection.

In case you didn't know and if you are totally new to Asus routers and this forum... There is also the option of trying the AsusWRT-Merlin firmware https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ which at this time is a beta release for the RT-AX86U. At it's core it looks like and functions like the standard Asus firmware (because it is the core firmware) but it has more features, enhancements and sometimes bug fixes that that stock Asus firmware releases don't have. The developer RMerlin does contribute to this forum and can provide additional information regarding any changes and known bugs in the various Asus firmware releases.

Last edited:
What firmware were you on? Which firmware 'killed' the 2.5GbE Port?

Did you try doing a full reset after flashing to the latest firmware available? Have you ever done a full reset to the router at all?

What features and options are you using? How is your network configured? What network infrastructure do you have connected besides the modem/ONT and the RT-AX86U?

Thanks to you all for replying. Yes, that would help if I provide the firmware versions. Apologies.

The new firmware is: 3.0.0.4.386.41535 (but now I cannot access the RT-AX86U drivers page in Support. It looks like the download options are not showing right now: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AX86U/HelpDesk_Download/). The old version that I reverted back to and which works for me is: 3.0.0.4.384_9318.

I did try a full reset as well as the wps reset methods, a few times actually. I did reset the router once since I had it after a firmware upgrade. I do turn it off each night though.

As for options, it is the 5g setting, AX at 160mhz set up as a Media Bridge. The 2.5g port is now activated in the Dual Wan setting to "On" for LAN. Qos off, no gaming settings on. Everything else is Default. Using a 1gig package from the ISP, soon to be upgraded for faster speeds.

The network is configured where my landlord's devices log on using the RT-AC87U connected to the ONT via ethernet. Her devices all use 2g (she uses some old legacy devices). The 2g and 5g SSIDs are separated. I log on to the RT-AC87U via my RT-AX86U wireless. There are no repeaters or any other set ups to the network. So basically the landlord's old printers, her smart TVs (2 of them), her Sling box and her camera system which there are about 4 of them and her tablet/cell phone. I'm just connected with my desktop and cell phone. Currently my PC is connected to the RT-AX86U via CAT6a and the RT-AC87U via CAT6 cables (though that is going to be upgraded to a CAT6a cable once I install another RT-AX8U to replace the RT-AC87U to the ONT). Hope that helps!

SoCalReviews: thanks for the info! The IP range is set from .1 to .245 I believe. Great to know it's a "double NAT" set up! I did do a reste after the firmware upgrade, reset button and WPS reset button. I have been thinking of trying Merlin but now that you mention bug fixes, I will give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to you all for replying. Yes, that would help if I provide the firmware versions. Apologies.

The new firmware is: 3.0.0.4.386.41535 (but now I cannot access the RT-AX86U drivers page in Support. It looks like the download options are not showing right now: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AX86U/HelpDesk_Download/). The old version that I reverted back to and which works for me is: 3.0.0.4.384_9318.

I did try a full reset as well as the wps reset methods, a few times actually. I did reset the router once since I had it after a firmware upgrade. I do turn it off each night though.

As for options, it is the 5g setting, AX at 160mhz set up as a Media Bridge. The 2.5g port is now activated in the Dual Wan setting to "On" for LAN. Qos off, no gaming settings on. Everything else is Default. Using a 1gig package from the ISP, soon to be upgraded for faster speeds.

The network is configured where my landlord's devices log on using the RT-AC87U connected to the ONT via ethernet. Her devices all use 2g (she uses some old legacy devices). The 2g and 5g SSIDs are separated. I log on to the RT-AC87U via my RT-AX86U wireless. There are no repeaters or any other set ups to the network. So basically the landlord's old printers, her smart TVs (2 of them), her Sling box and her camera system which there are about 4 of them and her tablet/cell phone. I'm just connected with my desktop and cell phone. Currently my PC is connected to the RT-AX86U via CAT6a and the RT-AC87U via CAT6 cables (though that is going to be upgraded to a CAT6a cable once I install another RT-AX8U to replace the RT-AC87U to the ONT). Hope that helps!

SoCalReviews: thanks for the info! The IP range is set from .1 to .245 I believe. Great to know it's a "double NAT" set up! I did do a reste after the firmware upgrade, reset button and WPS reset button. I have been thinking of trying Merlin but now that you mention bug fixes, I will give it a try.

you know.. it is a bit strange...

so my network ( lan connections ) were all fine, until I updated the firmware yesterday. It made my PS5 unable to connect through the Lan port. I am a bit confused as well, but rolling back to previous firmware: 3.0.0.4.384_9318 resolved all the issues for me. I have no idea why the latest firmware causes the lan port to keep flapping or something and on the PS5 keeps showing lan connected, lan disconnected, on and on forever until you unplug the lan cable. I tried everything setting wise but couldn't get it to work. I rolled back, and all is back to normal. Something is definitely wrong or conflicting with this latest firmware for LAN connections.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!