What's new

(RT-AX86U): New network devices are not shown in the device menu/tab of the router menu/app

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

YADWQ

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

i have bought a RT-AX86U router recently. It was updated Directly after setting up with the latest firmware: Version 3.0.0.4.388.20566

so its brand new, vanilla setup.

it works well, the only thing I noticed is, that the „devices„ tab in the router menu/app is not updating. What does that Mean?:

there is the home tab and the devices tab. Under the home tab i see the live network traffic and this works flawlessly. But the devices tab does not update with new devices added to the network nor their net work traffic.

• so I still see the 23 devices which has been added from the beginning of the setup Und the devices tab.
  • New devices aren’t showing up in the devices tab. (Though their network traffic shows in the home tabs real time traffic monitor)
  • devices from the beginning (on of my laptops) are in the offline section of the devices tab, even though they are online and producing high amount of traffic, which should make it easy to identify them (also through their up address)
  • traffic from the initial 23 devices are still shown under the device tab. But not new ones.
i reset one time the router. The issue starts after some time again. So resetting again is not an option.

Tl;dr: home tab is updating. Device tab is frozen in time

Attachments

• 0BCA5537-4855-465D-A570-491321763ADD.jpeg
    0BCA5537-4855-465D-A570-491321763ADD.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 87
What version of the phone app are you using?
Try using a web browser to access the router GUI.
The new 388 code base is known to be buggy but I have not seen what you have reported. I have tested both iOS and Android apps.

What version of the phone app are you using?
Try using a web browser to access the router GUI.
The new 388 code base is known to be buggy but I have not seen what you have reported. I have tested both iOS and Android apps.
Im using the iOS app with all latest updates. iOS updates and ASUS router

i used the web browser gui, and there it tells me 22 devices are connected (app says 23), but also devices which are definitely connected are missing. For example my Nvidia shield tv. It’s via wired gigabit connection connected, and got the ip 192.1.68.50.160 at the end. But it’s missing in the app or the web browser gui. web browser gui even says just my Samsung tv is connected via wired connection.(that’s wrong since I have my shield via wired as well)

see screenshots for proof

Attachments

• 898FCEFD-CC3D-42FE-92CE-34F974B3E7EB.jpeg
    898FCEFD-CC3D-42FE-92CE-34F974B3E7EB.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 79
  • C8B149BA-0F86-4B25-BFC0-684B8A1A2634.jpeg
    C8B149BA-0F86-4B25-BFC0-684B8A1A2634.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 9E32B1CF-A142-418A-9F74-FBA5B44CFA87.jpeg
    9E32B1CF-A142-418A-9F74-FBA5B44CFA87.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 84
Im using the iOS app with all latest updates. iOS updates and ASUS router

i used the web browser gui, and there it tells me 22 devices are connected (app says 23), but also devices which are definitely connected are missing. For example my Nvidia shield tv. It’s via wired gigabit connection connected, and got the ip 192.1.68.50.160 at the end. But it’s missing in the app or the web browser gui. web browser gui even says just my Samsung tv is connected via wired connection.(that’s wrong since I have my shield via wired as well)

see screenshots for proof
As the old saying goes, don't believe everything you see. If the Samsung "smart" TV is WIFI and on it will show as such. Off it may show as wired or show in the offline list. This is nothing new. Asus has not "fixed" this behavior for a long time and I would guess it is not really high priority.
My recommendation is to ignore the minor/cosmetic errors. If the router works well for you just enjoy it. By-the-way, it is possible you could have some issues with the 388 firmware. Several of us have gone back to firmware version 386_49599. I ran the 388_20566 firmware for a couple of weeks then it started to act flaky. You may be lucky and not have issues but you should know about this.

Am I reading this correctly? You bought an RT-AX68U on some older 386.xx level firmware. You configured the router, then you updated the firmware to version 388.20566?

To rule anything out if my assumption above is correct, a full reset followed by a minimal and manual configuration is needed.

Before doing so, save a backup config file via the GUI. Don't restore this file after the reset (while testing). Only use it if the behavior continues after a full reset followed by a minimal and manual setup.

Even then, I wouldn't restore this config file (big jump from 386.xx level firmware to 388.xx level firmware).

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Is there an echo in here? Guess you guys do not read prior posts...

The Samsung tv is definitely wired connected
Am I reading this correctly? You bought an RT-AX68U on some older 386.xx level firmware. You configured the router, then you updated the firmware to version 388.20566?

To rule anything out if my assumption above is correct, a full reset followed by a minimal and manual configuration is needed.

Before doing so, save a backup config file via the GUI. Don't restore this file after the reset (while testing). Only use it if the behavior continues after a full reset followed by a minimal and manual setup.

Even then, I wouldn't restore this config file (big jump from 386.xx level firmware to 388.xx level firmware).

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More
no I did not configure the router before Update. I directly updated it out of the box before configuring anything.

edit: for others who had the same problem. I rebooted the router via the reboot button in the web GUI. That seemed to fix the issue (for now). Now my client list is back again up to date. And I can assign clients in vpn fusion etc.

fingers crossed it stays that way

Last edited:
Great you got it working with a simple reboot!

Even though you didn't configure anything, the router was configured (for the previous firmware, and possibly even another (testing?) firmware before that, from the factory).

If further random issues appear that a timely fix isn't available, I would still do a full reset then. After you flash to the router firmware you want to use. Without using saved backup config files. Or, using any previously used amtm USB drives either (at least, not before formatting them on a PC with NTFS and then formatting them in amtm with Ext4 w/journalling, after you have verified the router is working properly).

Great you got it working with a simple reboot!

Even though you didn't configure anything, the router was configured (for the previous firmware, and possibly even another (testing?) firmware before that, from the factory).

If further random issues appear that a timely fix isn't available, I would still do a full reset then. After you flash to the router firmware you want to use. Without using saved backup config files. Or, using any previously used amtm USB drives either (at least, not before formatting them on a PC with NTFS and then formatting them in amtm with Ext4 w/journalling, after you have verified the router is working properly).
No, if you read what the OP wrote the router upgraded itself at initial setup. The only settings he had added before the auto upgrade kicked in was the SSID/passphrase and the user name/password. Even you should know that the rest of the settings are at factory default right out of the box. YADWQ did just what a new user is supposed to do. Please stop bugging him about a full reset. And your M&M config is worthless in my opinion.

No, particularly right out of the box, we do not know where the settings are at. You're assuming. Just like you're assuming I'm bugging anyone about doing a full reset. Read the post again and see where you are making things up (again).

The only way to know is to actually do a full reset. Then, you'll know.

Just like you don't look at the details of the links I provide, so your opinion is less than significant too.

Now my client list is back again up to date.

If you change the wireless channel few times causing the clients to disconnect, the Client List will be out of sync again. You have to reboot the router (not really necessary) or just wait. The clients will re-arrange again after DHCP lease renewal (in 24h). This is how Client List works. Not perfect. You don't need to reset your router. If you encounter other issues though - roll back to 386_49599 firmware. Give some time to 388 to mature.

No, particularly right out of the box, we do not know where the settings are at. You're assuming. Just like you're assuming I'm bugging anyone about doing a full reset. Read the post again and see where you are making things up (again).

The only way to know is to actually do a full reset. Then, you'll know.

Just like you don't look at the details of the links I provide, so your opinion is less than significant too.
So, you are saying a new router fresh out of the box was not set to factory default settings? What have you been smoking?

I am saying it isn't out of reason that a few are shipped with multiple firmware being flashed to them, and/or the last reset not taking (as has been shown here too).

I am saying it isn't out of reason that a few are shipped with multiple firmware being flashed to them, and/or the last reset not taking (as has been shown here too).
Multiple firmware? Linksys routers maybe as some of them have space to keep prior firmware. Asus? No!
Your insistence in this matter has killed your credibility with me.

Last edited:
My instance???

I'm not talking about having multiple firmware loaded. Read what I wrote again.

I am also facing this issue of my 2 X GT6000. Every time I wire a new device it does not show up in the network map. It only shows up after a reboot of the router. Not really sure if that's the way it should work or it is a fault of the router/ firmware. Currently running Firmware:388.2_2_rog on both. Any suggestions? Devices are wired via a switch, but noticed the same behaviour when wired to the router itself.
Cheers

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!