What's new

RT-AX86U OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spursman77

New Around Here
Hi

Newbie so please go easy on me :)

I have the RT-AX86U and it has always worked like a dream.

I now have access to a VPN and wanted to try the Router's OpenVPN capabilities to enable VPN on my Smart TVs.

Whilst this works, other networked devices lose internet connectivity despite remaining connected to the Wifi network. E.g. MacBook and iPhone, Sky TV and home thermostats, smart lights.

Two things helped - manually changing individual device DNS settings to the OPEN DNS servers (as set up in my router) or rebooting the router. I can't do this for all devices so router reboot appears necessary to fully resolve the issue. Problem once more as soon as I reconnect and disconnect VPN via the router.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this in the future? I am not running Merlin software (looks quite complicated!) but happy to do so if it will fix this issue. I presume what I am seeing is normal?

My daughter just arrived home and complained her iPhone wasn't working - manually changed DNS servers and hey presto...

Advice is much appreciated!

Thanks

As your problems seem to all be related to DNS I'm guessing that your VPN client is configured to only use the DNS servers provided by your VPN provider. Having this apply network-wide can cause problems for some devices. I don't use stock firmware but if you have the option to specify the DNS servers in the VPN client settings I suggest you use some publicly available addresses, e.g. 8.8.8.8, 1.1.1.1, 9.9.9.9, etc.

P.S. If you changed the router's WAN DNS servers to point the the VPN provider's servers - don't. Change them back to what they were before.

If you were to use Merlin's firmware you'd have a lot more options, including the ability to only route specific devices through the VPN.

Thank you.

WAN DNS servers have not changed - OPEN DNS 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222.

Don't seem to be table to specify DNS servers in the Asus OpenVPN client so perhaps my only option is the Merlin firmware?

If your objective is simply to route one of two smart TVs through the VPN while leaving the rest of the network unchanged then Merlin is a good option. It offers more options in the VPN client. Of course it begs the question of why you're bothering to route the TVs through a VPN at all - presumably to illegally stream content from another region.

If your objective is simply to route one of two smart TVs through the VPN while leaving the rest of the network unchanged then Merlin is a good option. It offers more options in the VPN client. Of course it begs the question of why you're bothering to route the TVs through a VPN at all - presumably to illegally stream content from another region.
I wanted to try and access overseas versions of Netflix on the TV - thought that would be ok to do given I have a valid subscription. Is that in itself illegal? I have no interest in any dodgy or illicit content!

I wanted to try and access overseas versions of Netflix on the TV - thought that would be ok to do given I have a valid subscription. Is that in itself illegal?
I believe it's "illegal" in the sense that it's a violation of their terms and conditions. Every now and then the content providers will kick up a fuss and Netflix et al. will blacklist some more VPN exit nodes. So YMMV.

EDIT: I've had a quick look, specifically at Netflix's web site and it looks like they're OK with accessing their content when you're travelling/moving countries. Link. How that equates to a VPN faking you being in a different country I don't know. I know that people have reported issues with VPN's being blocked.

Last edited:
I believe it's "illegal" in the sense that it's a violation of their terms and conditions. Every now and then the content providers will kick up a fuss and Netflix et al. will blacklist some more VPN exit nodes. So YMMV.

EDIT: I've had a quick look, specifically at Netflix's web site and it looks like they're OK with accessing their content from other countries. Link. How that equates to a VPN faking you being in a different country I don't know. I know that people have reported issues with VPN's being blocked.
OK, thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!