What's new

RT-AX86U periodic wifi drops

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dalcini

New Around Here
Hi everyone,
Well, it's been a few months since I upgraded to an RT-AX86U. Everything that is wired is working well so far, but my family is reporting frequent periodic drops from wifi on their devices. Their devices are on 2.4GHZ most of the time. I followed the recommended steps from @L&LD for initial setup Here and Here.

I am running Merlin 386.1_2.

I haven't yet tried switching wifi channels (both bands are set to static as recommended) because I thought I'd post here first.

Any advice much appreciated!

Hi everyone,
Well, it's been a few months since I upgraded to an RT-AX86U. Everything that is wired is working well so far, but my family is reporting frequent periodic drops from wifi on their devices. Their devices are on 2.4GHZ most of the time. I followed the recommended steps from @L&LD for initial setup Here and Here.

I am running Merlin 386.1_2.

I haven't yet tried switching wifi channels (both bands are set to static as recommended) because I thought I'd post here first.

Any advice much appreciated!
Contrary to what others recommend I advise you use Dual Band SmartConnect with the same SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz. Set 2.4 GHZ to 20 MHz bandwidth in channel 1, 6 or 11. 5 GHz at 80 MHZ to start on a fixed channel. I use 36. If you feel that you want to use 160 MHZ use channel 36 and start with 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz. RADAR or other factors may force the router back to 80 MHz. Let the clients choose the band they want. I've found that clients that are 5 GHz capable will, in time, switch to the 5 GHz band. Disable Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming for both bands.

I have had my AX86U for a month, on Merlin 386.2 since last Saturday and have tried a lot of settings. I have never had random disconnects on Merlin or Asus factory firmware. This router works GREAT!

Edit: the proverbial Nuclear Reset is not needed. A reset and initialize works very well to clean up this router. And I feel the fewer add ons the better.

Contrary to what others recommend I advise you use Dual Band SmartConnect with the same SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz. Set 2.4 GHZ to 20 MHz bandwidth in channel 1, 6 or 11. 5 GHz at 80 MHZ to start on a fixed channel. I use 36. If you feel that you want to use 160 MHZ use channel 36 and start with 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz. RADAR or other factors may force the router back to 80 MHz. Let the clients choose the band they want. I've found that clients that are 5 GHz capable will, in time, switch to the 5 GHz band. Disable Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming for both bands.

I have had my AX86U for a month, on Merlin 386.2 since last Saturday and have tried a lot of settings. I have never had random disconnects on Merlin or Asus factory firmware. This router works GREAT!

Edit: the proverbial Nuclear Reset is not needed. A reset and initialize works very well to clean up this router. And I feel the fewer add ons the better.
Interesting advice... I always disable SmartConnect and use separate SSIDs and I don't have any problems but if your clients are living on the edge of the 5Ghz range or experiencing interference and dropping altogether then it's definitely worth a try to keep the connection going.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!