What's new

RT-AX86U PRO - problems with 5G (solved)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lovis

New Around Here
Hi.

I apologize in advance, as I am not at all experienced with wireless routers and networking.

I recently gave my trusty AX86U, which ran rock solid for me, to my parents and bought the new PRO version. I am running on stock firmware from ASUS (3.0.0.4 388_22237). After first setting up the router, I couldn't find the 5G network. It eventually showed up after disabling 5G on the modem (didn't have to do this with the non-pro). I had very unstable 5G performance, where my HomePods kept failing to stream audio, which seemed to clear up once I rebooted the modem. I have a 800/800 Mbps fiber connection.

When I try to hide the 2.4G SSID, the 5G shows up momentarily on reboot, but I can't connect to it and then it's just gone. This worked without issues on the non-pro router. Can someone please enlighten me if I am missing something fundamental here ?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @Lovis.

You shouldn't be having those kinds of issues. I hope you didn't import any saved backup config files from your old working router to the new one? Unless you did the latter (which indicates you need to fully reset then setup the router from scratch), you should return that example and try another.

The biggest fundamental mistake you've made so far is that a new model will have the track record of the old one. If trying a second example of the 'pro' model doesn't solve the issues for you (or, performing the steps indicated above), take this lesson to heart next time you want to upgrade to a just introduced/available model.

I recommend models that are proven stable and reliable. So far, the 'pro' models haven't been so for everyone.

Welcome to the forums @Lovis.

You shouldn't be having those kinds of issues. I hope you didn't import any saved backup config files from your old working router to the new one? Unless you did the latter (which indicates you need to fully reset then setup the router from scratch), you should return that example and try another.

The biggest fundamental mistake you've made so far is that a new model will have the track record of the old one. If trying a second example of the 'pro' model doesn't solve the issues for you (or, performing the steps indicated above), take this lesson to heart next time you want to upgrade to a just introduced/available model.

I recommend models that are proven stable and reliable. So far, the 'pro' models haven't been so for everyone.
Thank you for replying!

I have not imported any backup config files, so I am taking your advice and returning it to try a new one. If it doesn't work out, I will just get another AX86U non-pro and lesson learned.

I couldn't find the 5G network. It eventually showed up after disabling 5G on the modem

What 5G on the modem? You have configuration issues. If your router is set to use DFS channels 5GHz network may not come up for minutes after boot.

I am taking your advice and returning it to try a new one. If it doesn't work out, I will just get another AX86U non-pro and lesson learned.

RT-AX86U Pro is the newer and better model and perhaps there is nothing wrong with the unit. You just have more lessons to learn to make it work.

What 5G on the modem? You have configuration issues. If your router is set to use DFS channels 5GHz network may not come up for minutes after boot.

RT-AX86U Pro is the newer and better model and perhaps there is nothing wrong with the unit. You just have more lessons to learn to make it work.

Enable DFS channel was ticked on by default. I will try disabling it.

Explain your configuration better otherwise no one can help you. Don't waste your time returning and exchanging routers. You have configuration issues.

Enable DFS channel was ticked on by default. I will try disabling it.

Get your new AX86U Pro working without 5.0 160MHz bandwidth (no DFS). See my install notes for basic configuration clues.

OE

Explain your configuration better otherwise no one can help you. Don't waste your time returning and exchanging routers. You have configuration issues.
You are right, my bad. After disabling DFS there are no issues, thank you! Sorry to clutter the forums.
Any reason why the non-pro worked fined with DFS on, and the pro seems to have problems though ?

Get your new AX86U Pro working without 5.0 160MHz bandwidth (no DFS). See my install notes for basic configuration clues.

OE
Thank you, I will!

Last edited:
Hello
Yes, I have a similar problem with the asus router rt-ax86u pro as it starts up 5GHz in a little over about 10 minutes, it goes directly to channel 116 which yes I don't mind that it goes on that channel, yes I have direct contact on 2.4 , but on a normal asus router rt-ax86u, 5GHz works at once but not on pro as my sister and father have asus router rt-ax86u and yes have pro on mine

Could be a bug that should be fixed as factory reset does not work to solve this problem

Hi.

I apologize in advance, as I am not at all experienced with wireless routers and networking.

I recently gave my trusty AX86U, which ran rock solid for me, to my parents and bought the new PRO version. I am running on stock firmware from ASUS (3.0.0.4 388_22237). After first setting up the router, I couldn't find the 5G network. It eventually showed up after disabling 5G on the modem (didn't have to do this with the non-pro). I had very unstable 5G performance, where my HomePods kept failing to stream audio, which seemed to clear up once I rebooted the modem. I have a 800/800 Mbps fiber connection.

When I try to hide the 2.4G SSID, the 5G shows up momentarily on reboot, but I can't connect to it and then it's just gone. This worked without issues on the non-pro router. Can someone please enlighten me if I am missing something fundamental here ?
Modem should have the Wifi Turned off! Do not use modem Wifi with Router wifi. Channels will conflict.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!