What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xasapi

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

Longtime lurker, first time poster lol.

I had to ditch my Arris all-in-one gateway and get a Hitron HN2251 as my modem was no longer supported. Anyway, long story short, I picked up an AX86U to use as my router/wifi AP as the Spectrum router/wifi AP was too castrated for my liking. So far, so good, but I am noticing something odd. I am on the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.386_45934. I pay for 400/20 from Spectrum. My download speeds have been perfect (averaging 480) but upload, with QOS off, will start off at 23 for like a millisecond and then just dive down to 7-9. I turned on traditional QOS which seemed to fix the upload issue but then the download would not go above 350ish no matter what settings I had. Bufferbloat was also rated at a C with this set up and I was getting late packets.

I switched to adaptive QOS and upload and download seems fine, speed test wise, bufferbloat rated at a B, I am still getting late packets, and now packetloss.

Any idea why I need to have QOS on so I get my correct upload speeds? I originally thought it was the modem (PUMA 7 chipset) but seems to be the router. Also, any specific settings in here to get an A rating for bufferbloat test?

BTW this is regardless of me being wired or wireless.

Thanks!! :cool:

Hi everyone,

Longtime lurker, first time poster lol.

I had to ditch my Arris all-in-one gateway and get a Hitron HN2251 as my modem was no longer supported. Anyway, long story short, I picked up an AX86U to use as my router/wifi AP as the Spectrum router/wifi AP was too castrated for my liking. So far, so good, but I am noticing something odd. I am on the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.386_45934. I pay for 400/20 from Spectrum. My download speeds have been perfect (averaging 480) but upload, with QOS off, will start off at 23 for like a millisecond and then just dive down to 7-9. I turned on traditional QOS which seemed to fix the upload issue but then the download would not go above 350ish no matter what settings I had. Bufferbloat was also rated at a C with this set up and I was getting late packets.

I switched to adaptive QOS and upload and download seems fine, speed test wise, bufferbloat rated at a B, I am still getting late packets, and now packetloss.

Any idea why I need to have QOS on so I get my correct upload speeds? I originally thought it was the modem (PUMA 7 chipset) but seems to be the router. Also, any specific settings in here to get an A rating for bufferbloat test?

BTW this is regardless of me being wired or wireless.

Have you connected a PC directly to the modem and run a speed test? I Googled HN2251 and came up with some issues regarding a Puma chipset. Does this seem right?

If the speed test seems OK directly connected to the modem, make sure you have a good Ethernet cable between the modem and the WAN port of the router. CAT5e should work although I use plain old CAT5.

QOS - Disable the NVIDA QOS if you do not use it. Use Adaptive QOS with manual settings. Conventional wisdom is to set the QOS to 95% of rated speed. Using tested speed via the router test is also OK. My ISP over provisions the bandwidth by 10% so I set my speeds to 105% of my rated speed.

I suspect your problem is not with the router but some other factor.

Appreciate the response. I have not connected to the modem directly, yet, but when running the speed test via the router, it looks fine speed wise.

Yes, I have heard of PUMA 7 chipset issues with this specific modem, but the issues supposedly have been fixed with a firmware update. Regardless, I am trying to get a new modem from Spectrum w/ a Broadcom chipset but that is proving to be more difficult than I originally thought.

As far as cabling, I have a CAT 8 cable going from the modem to the router and then another CAT 8 going from the router to my 8-port switch.

Any idea why I am going from an A+ bufferbloat test (with QOS off) to a B or C with adaptive QOS on? I have my speeds set as 21 up, 450 down as Spectrum also over provisions.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!