What's new

RT-AX86U Random Ai-Mesh drops

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Harl

New Around Here
I have a RT-AX86U with two Ai-Mesh nodes RT-AC68U and RT-AC68U both of them disconnect from the mesh randomly several times a day.
There is no problems with clients connected to the main router but the web interface cannot be accessed after some time of work, if I reset the main router I can enter the web setup for some time

The routers have the latest firmware
RT-AX86U 3.0.0.4.388_22068-gf3adbcd
RT-AC68U 3.0.0.4.386_49703-gc2cdfc8
RT-AC67U 3.0.0.4.386_49703-gc2cdfc8

Checking the logs I see something weird
May 5 07:05:34 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(530): eth6: Auth E8:68:E7:48:D5:1D, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
May 5 07:05:34 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(559): eth6: Assoc E8:68:E7:48:D5:1D, status: Successful (0), rssi:-70
May 5 07:05:35 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 15 09:41:36 rc_service: ntp 1922:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Jan 15 09:41:36 disk_monitor: Finish
Jan 15 09:41:36 disk monitor: be idle

The last date before rebooting its from may, I don't know if its because of the hard reset or if the time of the router was wrong before rebooting (that could explain fails with the web interface and mesh fails)

Last edited:
The last date before rebooting its from may, I don't know if its because of the hard reset or if the time of the router was wrong before rebooting (that could explain fails with the web interface and mesh fails)

When the router starts, the Log entries have a default factory date until the router updates itself to the correct date/time.

OE

The AC68U's will limit what settings you can use on the AX86U. Use WPA2-PERSONAL, use Dual Band SmartConnect, set the 2.4 GHZ to 20MHz auto channel and the 5 GHz to 80 MHz auto channel. Do not use DFS channels!
You should let the system settle in for a while then you can set the WIFI to fixed channels if you want. I do use auto channel. It seems that you are using WiFi backhaul. My AC66U_B1, which has much the same hardware as AC68U, is on Ethernet backhaul but I have tested it with wireless as well with the cited WIFI settings.

The AC68U's will limit what settings you can use on the AX86U. Use WPA2-PERSONAL, use Dual Band SmartConnect, set the 2.4 GHZ to 20MHz auto channel and the 5 GHz to 80 MHz auto channel. Do not use DFS channels!
You should let the system settle in for a while then you can set the WIFI to fixed channels if you want. I do use auto channel. It seems that you are using WiFi backhaul. My AC66U_B1, which has much the same hardware as AC68U, is on Ethernet backhaul but I have tested it with wireless as well with the cited WIFI settings.
Both nodes are wired I have this setup for two years without problems until nos.
I'll check the wifi settings to give it a try.

Last edited:
Both nodes are wired I have this setup for two years without problems until nos.
I'll check the wifi settings to give it a try.
Let the nodes select Ethernet backhaul automatically. Sometimes forcing Ethernet Uplink can cause issues. If you use a switch between the router and node it should be an unmanaged switch.

Let the nodes select Ethernet backhaul automatically. Sometimes forcing Ethernet Uplink can cause issues. If you use a switch between the router and node it should be an unmanaged switch.
Backhaul is in auto
Both nodes are connected directly from main router lan port to node Wan port.

You had exactly the same issue two years ago, perhaps main router firmware related. Revert to what you know was working well.

You had exactly the same issue two years ago, perhaps main router firmware related. Revert to what you know was working well.

That problem was resolved with some updates in the next few days.

Now I cant even ser the logs or the status of the mesh when It fails because the web intarfece also is blocked anda I have to reste the main router to acces.

Last firmware is from 2022/12/19 to fix some vulnerabilitys
I think the problems started araound that date.

I'll try the previous firm from 2022/11/24 (and disable autoupdates)

PD:
Are those vulnerabilitys too serius?
"Fixed Client DOM Stored XSS vulnerability."
Will be safe yo rollback?

Last edited:
Disable auto update and check the release threads for feedback before updating your routers. Folks around have reported issues with 22068 and AiMesh with different router models and configurations. No matter what small things were fixed in this firmware something bigger is obviously broken.

AC68U and variants don't support Smart Connect. You can get 2.4/5GHz bands with the same SSID at best.
Really does not matter if the node does not support SmartConnect. Since adding my AC66U_B1 as an AiMesh node I am discovering that it really does not matter where my clients connect. Sometimes the clients connect to the main router and sometimes they connect to the node in the basement. Performance is not degraded one bit. I have a 2.4 GHz printer in my office with the AX86U and the printer will often go to the AC66U_B1 in the basement. Our AX laptops seem to connect to whichever source as well.

And, staying on the current firmware is still the best recommendation. Real world use of the firmware shows me it just works! This is not just a test as some do.

I am discovering that it really does not matter where my clients connect.

I know that. With your 100Mbps ISP line it doesn't matter indeed. Common 2-stream N client can reach 90Mbps throughput. This is the reason you're always happy - you can't see any performance related issues on any firmware. An AC-class router for $50 will make you equally happy.

This is not just a test as some do.

Yes. Broken firewall or QoS with IPv6 enabled is a minor issue. You may not even notice your entire network exposed on Internet. :)

I get tired of waiting for a fix and I downgraded to
I have to wait to test mesh estability, but the web interface works fine amy time I log in.

I get tired of waiting for a fix and I downgraded to
I have to wait to test mesh estability, but the web interface works fine amy time I log in.
There is a test firmware for the AX86U that will help your issue.

I have a RT-AX86U with two Ai-Mesh nodes RT-AC68U and RT-AC68U both of them disconnect from the mesh randomly several times a day.
There is no problems with clients connected to the main router but the web interface cannot be accessed after some time of work, if I reset the main router I can enter the web setup for some time

The routers have the latest firmware
RT-AX86U 3.0.0.4.388_22068-gf3adbcd
RT-AC68U 3.0.0.4.386_49703-gc2cdfc8
RT-AC67U 3.0.0.4.386_49703-gc2cdfc8

Checking the logs I see something weird
May 5 07:05:34 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(530): eth6: Auth E8:68:E7:48:D5:1D, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
May 5 07:05:34 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(559): eth6: Assoc E8:68:E7:48:D5:1D, status: Successful (0), rssi:-70
May 5 07:05:35 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 15 09:41:36 rc_service: ntp 1922:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Jan 15 09:41:36 disk_monitor: Finish
Jan 15 09:41:36 disk monitor: be idle

Firmware 388_22068 is junk. I had the same issues after upgrading both my GT-AX6000 and it's backhaul wired meshed router AX86U to that version of the Firmware. I flushed on both the previous two Firmware versions and had zero issues of that nature. Everything is working perfectly. I'm waiting to see if they ever put a new firmware version out. I had a long discussion with Asus support about it. They said that they are aware of the mesh issues with _22068 and they are working on new Firmware versions. Remains to be seen....! They do have a BETA version for the AX6000 out, but I haven't tried it. It was a good move on your part to go back to 388_21709, that's the one I'm running on the AX86U now.

Firmware 388_22068 is junk. I had the same issues after upgrading both my GT-AX6000 and it's backhaul wired meshed router AX86U to that version of the Firmware. I flushed on both the previous two Firmware versions and had zero issues of that nature. Everything is working perfectly. I'm waiting to see if they ever put a new firmware version out. I had a long discussion with Asus support about it. They said that they are aware of the mesh issues with _22068 and they are working on new Firmware versions. Remains to be seen....! They do have a BETA version for the AX6000 out, but I haven't tried it. It was a good move on your part to go back to 388_21709, that's the one I'm running on the AX86U now.
Try this "test" firmware: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuCcWdNeYuXMgaQT-ldYSmpACgpRsA?e=J6r6LM

I guess they pulled out 3.0.0.4.388.22068

Still there:

1675698758875.png

The web interface works fine

Don't pay attention to Client List on the test firmware - it's messed up big time and doesn't even update.

Still there:

View attachment 47717

Don't pay attention to Client List on the test firmware - it's messed up big time and doesn't even update.
I justo mean I can login any time , with the 3.0.0.4.388.22068 the web interface became unavailble after login in one time, I had to restart to log in...
I'll keep un mind the problema with the cliente list

Firm 22068 is still un Asus website , but the updater from the firmware didnt show it yo me when I checked befor manually the test firm

New firmware check is once a day. If you open AiMesh GUI page it checks for new firmware and will set the notification right away.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!