What's new

[RT-AX86U] Router is taking more than two minutes to restore WAN when it goes down and comes back up

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Protik

Lately my WAN connection is going down randomly for a period of time. For this part, I believe my ISP is to blame. But it's taking more than two minutes for the router to restore the WAN even after the link is up. Any insight on how I can restore the WAN connection faster when the link is up?

I am currently on 388.2_2. But I have been seeing this issue even before this firmware. So don't believe it's an artifact of this particular firmware version.

Relevant log lines below.

Code:
May 10 01:58:57 RT-AX86U-2280 WAN_Connection: WAN(0) link down.
May 10 01:59:32 RT-AX86U-2280 WAN_Connection: WAN(0) link up.
May 10 02:01:26 RT-AX86U-2280 WAN_Connection: WAN was restored.

Full log between the events is attached.

Attachments

• messages_051123.txt
    85.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Your modem rebooted. The router has to wait until the modem is done resyncing with your ISP, which can take multiple minutes with some services such as DSL.

Lately my WAN connection is going down randomly for a period of time. For this part, I believe my ISP is to blame. But it's taking more than two minutes for the router to restore the WAN even after the link is up. Any insight on how I can restore the WAN connection faster when the link is up?

I am currently on 388.2_2. But I have been seeing this issue even before this firmware. So don't believe it's an artifact of this particular firmware version.

Relevant log lines below.

Code:
May 10 01:58:57 RT-AX86U-2280 WAN_Connection: WAN(0) link down.
May 10 01:59:32 RT-AX86U-2280 WAN_Connection: WAN(0) link up.
May 10 02:01:26 RT-AX86U-2280 WAN_Connection: WAN was restored.

Full log between the events is attached.

Yeah, totally normal, as @RMerlin said, port up and passing traffic are two different things, if you watch the status on your modem you'll see when it is all synched up is approx when the asus reports WAN up (may be a bit of a delay until asus DHCP retry timer runs out). Find out why your modem is rebooting or resetting, I'd guess it is on the way out, or maybe overheating.

You guys are right. It's the modem that is misbehaving. I am getting in touch with my ISP on this.

I feel your pain! I recently switched over to T-Mobile using their Sagemcom gateway. When it reboots, it takes at least 2-3 minutes to come back on-line. And also brings the WAN ethernet link up and down a few times while starting…It’s the nature of some of these modems….

Don’t even get me started on the reboot time of an Ooma Telo Air adapter. This little “thing” can take 10’s of minutes to come back into service.

Now I know what happened to all those 8 bit microprocessors made in the early 1980s ;-)
(I also wonder if they programmed these devices in Tiny Basic).

I feel your pain! I recently switched over to T-Mobile using their Sagemcom gateway. When it reboots, it takes at least 2-3 minutes to come back on-line. And also brings the WAN ethernet link up and down a few times while starting…It’s the nature of some of these modems….

Don’t even get me started on the reboot time of an Ooma Telo Air adapter. This little “thing” can take 10’s of minutes to come back into service.

Now I know what happened to all those 8 bit microprocessors made in the early 1980s ;-)
(I also wonder if they programmed these devices in Tiny Basic).

You think that's bad, look at the chipset in a lot of these cheap smart bulbs/plugs/etc.

I know a couple people with the older Ooma Telo (v2 I think, wired) and it comes up pretty quickly. Maybe something config wise you need to mess with on it or some ports that need to be opened. Though a quick google does seem like a lot have similar issues.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!