RT-AX86U Slow 2.4ghz max speeds

mattsrs

New Around Here
Just got this router today and I have seen a few other threads with similar issue but didn't find a good answer beyond "factory reset". My issue is I have 400mbps Fios internet and speed test on the router gets me 400mbps+ speeds. I also get this speed on 5ghz. However, when I connect my laptop any device on the 2.4ghz network right next to the router, maximum speed I can get is around 90 mbps. When I turned on the router, it immediately updated itself to 3.0.0.4.386_45898 so I didn't change any settings before the upgrade that requires reset afterwards. A few things I have tried:

-I have separate 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks and changed channels on 2.4ghz but didn't help with speed.

- Disabled beamfoaming
- Disabled AX mode but didn't have any impact
- Tried a different channel on 2.4ghz
- There's no USB plugged in

In summary, I am getting correct 5ghz wifi speeds but 2.4ghz speeds are max around 90mbps . Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Last edited:

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
However, when I connect my laptop any device on the 2.4ghz network right next to the router, maximum speed I can get is around 90 mbps.
That sounds about right for a client with two antennas and the router operating at 20 MHz bandwidth. I get about the same. You could try setting the bandwidth to 40 MHz but if there are nearby overlapping signals you could make it worse.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
And, to clarify, updating immediately before you change any settings does not negate the need for a full reset either. Depending on what firmware was initially installed.

Are you using your old SSIDs? What client device (and Wi-Fi adaptor) are you testing this with? Right next to the router is too close to be tested. The optimum distance is at least 3 metres away.

And the client device should be plugged into AC power, with Performance mode selected in the Power settings to get the best speeds possible.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Almost all L&LD Links

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!