What's new

RT-AX88U 8-port gigabit - single interface or dual interface like AC88U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ruffruff

New Around Here
Hi Everyone~

I just received my AX88U from my ISP and would like to find out more on the 8 LAN ports from the folks here. I have an AC88U as well and understand that (if I read correctly) it comprises of 2 switches (4 ports each, where 5-8 are sharing a single gigabit connection to the first internal switch (port 1-4). Is this the same with AX88U?

Reason for asking is that I have done quite a fair bit of wiring, currently 8 and with the intention to include 2 more (from my Synology NAS). If the 8-port design on AX88U is identical to AC88U, then I will need to consider having the lower bandwidth devices on ports 5-8. E.g. Port 1+2 to Synology NAS, Port 3 to Living room AC86U, Port 4 to Study room AC88U, Port 5 to Kids room AC86U, Port 6 - 7 to Smart TVs, Port 8 to 8 port switch which connects to 2 x IP Cam (100mbps link speed).

One other question, I have been having WAN speed issues on the Asus router (not AX88U specific but it is happening as well). I am on a 1gigabit fiber service but I can barely scratch 600mbs (on speedtest.net)
I have tried resetting to factory defaults and changing different routers around (I have 2 x AC86U, 1 x AC88U and 1 x AX88U | got to say these Asus routers are durable), but the results are somewhat similar. AX88U currently provides the highest speed among the 4 but still around the 600mbps region. All the tests were done via direct ethernet connection to the router.

One common behavior that I found in the speed tests is; it started with over 800mbps after factory reset and speed drastically reduced after AIMesh nodes were added (wired-backhaul). During the test, none of the factory settings was changed, only AIMesh nodes were added. I don't recall having this back in 2020, but since 2021's firmware releases, this seems to be occurring. Anyone else has the same experience?

I happy with my router and it's overall performance etc. To comment at bit on your questions;
I'm not using AIMesh.
The "NEW and Improved Wifi v6" seems like "marketing" - as the speed, ping, reach, etc is exactly like before (not specific testet), but the icon on my mobile device now have this small cool-looking "6", so something is new (plus, maybe, a bit lower power usage...). :)
For the switch - that's a lot of new information for me; I've been using AC88U prior to this AX88U unit - but all LAN cables are just connected to ... whatever port; so if there is something here to get better speed on the LAN, I'm of course interested.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!