1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AX88U Ai-Mesh

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by corgan2222, Apr 22, 2019.

1. corgan2222

corgan2222 Occasional Visitor

Hello,

i just bought an Lyra to extend our WLAN and was woundering how to setup, because the AI-Mesh Button/Function is gone after installing asuswrt.
    It is possible to use Ai-Mesh with asusmerlin installed and if yes, how to setup without the config page?

tnxs, greet

2. thelonelycoder

thelonelycoder Part of the Furniture

No. This is not supported in Asuswrt-Merlin.

Vexira likes this.
  3. corgan2222

Thanxs for the quick response!
    But dammed.. We dont have wifi in 2 rooms. Any Idea how to extend the wifi?

4. ItsMeDude

ItsMeDude Occasional Visitor

You can purchase an extender, or you can use an old router in AP mode to connect it to your main router. I have my old n66u connected to my x88u as an AP, and it works great.

I haven't played with AiMesh or really looked into it but I'm assuming that it's similar to the AP mode setup.

5. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

same as in the past 20 years, if LAN backhaul config nodes as AP otherwise via wifi in repeater mode.
    If you only like to use Merlin but dont necessarily need it you can use AsusWRT!

6. corgan2222

ok thanks for the info :)

7. ItsMeDude

ItsMeDude Occasional Visitor

I actually looked at the Lyra earlier. I had never seen it. Looking at the info it looks like it runs AsusWRT. So you should be able to connect the Lyra to your main router via AP mode like I do with my old router. You set it under the Administration menu. It's on the first tab.

8. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Can't speak for all Lyra models, but I have a pair of Lyra Trio, and I used one as a temporary AP here, while sorting out a power management issue with my primary router. So these can definitely be configured as APs.

Swistheater likes this.
  9. king006

king006 Regular Contributor

You can enable and use AiMesh manually with Merlin. Just keep in mind that they do not provide support with problems. Here, however, it works great on a RT-AC86U :)

10. corgan2222

dammed, just resend the lyra to amazon.. :) but thanxs for the info

king006 likes this.
  11. king006

king006 Regular Contributor

No problem! :)