What's new

RT-AX88U and 160 Mhz Channel Bandwidth on 5Ghz network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sanke1

I am having RT-AX88U with latest firmware as of today. Now under 5Ghz Wifi settings, if I enable 160 Mhz Channel Bandwidth, all my 5Ghz devices like iPhone X and Google Pixel 2 drop wifi. The 5Ghz network vanishes. How am I supposed to use 160 Mhz? The network disappears regardless of being set to 20/40/80/160 or 160 exclusively.
Help would be highly appreciated.

Wait a few minutes, 160MHz requires DFS scanning. Check the scan status on the wireless log page.

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Devices did connect after 1-2 mins. How do I know if my device is supporting 160 Mhz bandwidth? Do iPhone X and Pixel 2 support that?

Thanks. Devices did connect after 1-2 mins. How do I know if my device is supporting 160 Mhz bandwidth? Do iPhone X and Pixel 2 support that?

The Wireless Log should tell you the client's channel width (it was added in a recent firmware update).

@RMerlin
1 more question. Is the 8 Port switch in RT-AX88U a proper 8 Port one or like the one in RT-AC88U with 2 x 4 Port with a gigabit interconnect?

@RMerlin
1 more question. Is the 8 Port switch in RT-AX88U a proper 8 Port one or like the one in RT-AC88U with 2 x 4 Port with a gigabit interconnect?

Not 100% sure, but I would be surprised if it was a proper 8 Port switch.

@RMerlin

I think it's two separate switches (one in the CPU + an additional BCM53134), but I'm not 100% sure. One thing for sure tho is it's 100% Broadcom, unlike the RT-AC88U which used a Realtek switch for half of the ports.

It would be awesome if Asus themselves confirm what exactly they have used in it because I would buy another one for my office. I don't want my office to be bottle necked with 1 gigabit interconnect.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!