RT-AX88U as reliable as RT-AC68U?

• SNBForums will be unavailable for about 2 hours TODAY 23 January starting around 2PM EDT for a server changeover.

All accounts and posts will be preserved.
  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Kanji-San

Regular Contributor
My RT-AC68U (with Merlin) has been incredibly stable and reliable for the past three or four years :)
For the upcoming switch to gigabit service, I am looking to upgrade to the RT-AX88U which seems very capable and also supporting the next-gen WiFi standard. I have been trying to get a feeling of how reliable the RT-AX88U (hardware and firmware/Merlin) is reading posts here and elsewhere. Not getting a clear message.

How has your experience been in regards to reliability? How stable is AiMesh?

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I had one of these for a while, but I found the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band to be somewhat weak (others have mentioned this too). I sent it back and now have an RT-AC86U, which is perfectly adequate for my situation and looks pretty impressive on top of my wall unit in the lounge.

Mattias

Regular Contributor
I had issues with earlier firmwares, lost internet connection. Does not happen anymore. I had rt-ac68u before. This one has better wifi range and better speed. So I think it's for sure better. Works as it should.

FTC

I am very happy also with my AX88U already for more than a year. I have experienced some problems in the past, fixed in various firmware editions, but all in all I think it is a very robust and capable router.

Last edited:

Kanji-San

Regular Contributor
Thanks for all the feedback. I justed ordered the RT-AX88U from Newegg which is currently on sale for $280.

thecheapseats

Regular Contributor
for me, these x88 devices have been extremely stable as of late - running the second alpha 384.19_alpha1-g2546f95291 from the july 5 build.... just my experience - ymmv...