What's new

RT-AX88U - Asus Merlin 386.7 - Router Just Died :(

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

exhibitO

Occasional Visitor
Router just died running latest Asus Merlin, not sure if its correlated or not. I am not making any claims just wanted to give a PSA. A few days back, I noticed my 5Ghz connection was weaker than it should be and my Core CPU usage was really low.

Had a power cycle this afternoon from my utility company but I am using a surge protector. Rebooted like normal after the power cycle and 20mins later, it just died. All lights are off, nothing works.

Any ideas? Router was purchased new 7 months ago.

Check the power supply. The router may be ok but the power brick may have cooked.

Router just died running latest Asus Merlin, not sure if its correlated or not. I am not making any claims just wanted to give a PSA. A few days back, I noticed my 5Ghz connection was weaker than it should be and my Core CPU usage was really low.

Had a power cycle this afternoon from my utility company but I am using a surge protector. Rebooted like normal after the power cycle and 20mins later, it just died. All lights are off, nothing works.

Any ideas? Router was purchased new 7 months ago.

I would assume the power event did not kill the router since it and presumably all other equipment worked afterward, and contact ASUS Support for an in warranty RMA. You may have to pay shipping to return all pieces and wait.

I would not rely on a surge protector to protect equipment from all bad power. I use a UPS.

OE

I would assume the power event did not kill the router since it and presumably all other equipment worked afterward, and contact ASUS Support for an in warranty RMA. You may have to pay shipping to return all pieces and wait.

I would not rely on a surge protector to protect equipment from all bad power. I use a UPS.

OE

I tried power supply for my JBL speaker which is roughly 19V 3A and it still didnt work, I think the router may be fried.

I tried power supply for my JBL speaker which is roughly 19V 3A and it still didnt work, I think the router may be fried.

It was failing before the power event, yes. That's your story and you're sticking to it! :)

OE