What's new

RT-AX88U chipset is WiFi 6 Certified

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bought this router 8 days ago good timing :)

Now to just wait for a GPL release that Merlin can work on.

To be certified it has to support all features doesn't it, I didn't think the 88U supported full OFDMA or Target Wake Time, at least currently.

WiFi Certification is very granular. You need to check the Certificate to see exactly what the product was certified for.

Note that Certification is for function only, not performance.

BTW, I edited the thread title to reflect reality.

ASUS and NETGEAR have been shipping product without OFDMA and AX MU-MIMO enabled. These features are of no use anyway unless you have multiple Intel AX200 and/or Samsung S10 devices.

The RT-AX88U currently supports OFDMA DL and UL on 5 GHz only. But ASUS has told me performance is not so great on uplink.

NETGEAR RAX200 supports OFDMA DL only on both bands.

My point is you can't tell what AX features are really supported without asking NETGEAR or reading firmware release notes. Both ASUS and NETGEAR are not being forthcoming regarding the WORKING features of the AX products they have been shipping for the past year.

It's just odd if they are using the chipset that the AX88U uses as a certification platform if products shipping with it don't support all the features of WiFi 6, will be interesting to see if the AX88U gets certification, if it's fully certified or if Asus will release another product. Though I'm not even sure how we have WiFi 6 certified platforms if it's still in draft anyway, so confusing.

It's just odd if they are using the chipset that the AX88U uses as a certification platform if products shipping with it don't support all the features of WiFi 6, will be interesting to see if the AX88U gets certification, if it's fully certified or if Asus will release another product. Though I'm not even sure how we have WiFi 6 certified platforms if it's still in draft anyway, so confusing.
The chipset is certified based on special firmware and a reference platform that is not a shipping product. The focus is on feature/function verification, not performance.

Router makers are more focused on performance and interoperability. I know I've struggled with showing that OFDMA actually provides total throughput improvement in my testing so far and I know that is what the manufacturers are struggling with too. You early adopters who don't hesitate to buy unfinished $400+ science experiments won't keep these companies in business. But the average Jane isn't going to spend that money without good assurance that value is delivered.

Though I'm not even sure how we have WiFi 6 certified platforms if it's still in draft anyway, so confusing.
It's confusing because you are paying attention to the details. Non technical users don't.

The Wi-Fi industry and WFA haven't let the lack of a released spec stop them for a few generation changes now. Next step will be no spec at all...

It's up to the manufacturer to enable/disable specific features at the software level. A SoC might support a feature, but if it's not enabled in the firmware, it won't do you any good.

And just because a feature is supported doesn't mean it's working well. Look at MU-MIMO on the RT-AC88U using the original BCM4366, versus that of the updated BCM4366E used by newer models.

This whole certification thing is more marketing than anything these days IMHO.

This whole certification thing is more marketing than anything these days IMHO.
Wi-Fi Certification's primary benefit is that it helps interoperability. That said, it can't test everything, so it's no guarantee.

I don't think the average consumer really cares or notices Wi-Fi Certification. Even if a product is certified, the logo is tiny and usually tucked away on a side flap. Manufacturers don't want anything interfering with their marketing methods or message.

All I want to know, if it does get certified is ASUS going to send me my sticker?

Not serious.

Last edited:
Wi-Fi Certification's primary benefit is that it helps interoperability.

Are their tests that extensive tho, or do they just confirm that the feature is implemented and working with their test environment of choice?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!